78 h30 leak from stern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
So confusing! In the picture of mine you can clearly see the shaft between the quadrant and the stuffing box. On both of yours it looks like the quadrant is attached to the stuffing box. It is really hard to see how the quadrant can turn and the stuffing box not turn. Can't wait until someone has pictures of this when it is apart.

Ian described it like mine works and like yours should work. Actually I guess Manny's is alright but I don't see how. And yes, normally you would tighten those bolts to further squeeze the packing against the rudder post.

Good luck getting that hose to slide down so that you can work on it. Still think the best option is to get the quadrant off and out of the way. Mine came right off but then it spent most of its 29 years in fresh water.

I was surprised on mine that the groove is square cut, not chamfered. And the groove is only on the bottom half, the top half being a flat surface. I think it is not much of a factor because it is above the waterline. Not true of the bottom of the hose however.

Nov 29, 2008
Hunter 30 San Diego
OK!!! I see how it supposed to work. My stuffing box is turning with the rudder post, instead of the rudder post turning inside of the stuffing box,causing the rubber tube to turn as well. What secures the stuffing box to prevent it from turning? I don't think my rudder has dropped but it may have. At least now I have an idea how it works...

Jun 2, 2004
Steve, the hose clamps are what keep everything stationary. You might try adding two additonal clamps, one at the top another at the bottom. Use a nut driver or a socket to tighten, something with some leverage. Get all four very tight. Then turn the wheel very slightly to see if the shaft breaks loose. It could just be slightly bound up. Do not turn hard or very far or you might tear the hose.

Nov 29, 2008
Hunter 30 San Diego
Well my first attempt to break the stuffing box free did not work. I tried using a wire brush to clean between the quadrant and stuffing box, I held the stuffing box with a large pair of channel lock plyers while we tried to turn the wheel, it is bound up tight. I tried to remove the quadrant, the nuts came loose but the bolts won't budge. I am not sure if the stuffing box is bound to the quadrant or the rudder post. There is no gap between the box and the quadrant. There is no room for the quadrant to go up, so to put new stuffing in the lower part of the box will have to go down. Is it possible the stuffing box has moved up slightly? Does the box sit directy on top of the fiberglass tube the rudder shaft is in? I don,t want to apply much force to anything and create a larger problem than what I have now.

Nov 29, 2008
Hunter 30 San Diego
I got it loose. I used a product called AREO KROIL. I used a hacksaw blade to very carefully clean the gap between the quadrant and stuffing box, sprayed and tapped on the stuffing box. After a couple of attempts to break it loose, the stuffing box broke free. More spraying and tapping, the rudder shaft turns freely, A new clamp on the lower part of the hose, and the stuffing box is secured. I will go for a sail soon and check for leaks. Thanks for all the help...

Jun 2, 2004
Good job Steve. So it seems that the stuffing box was frozen to the rudder stock and not the quandrant? Have you decided how you will repack it if necessary? From the picture and the description it looks like there is not room to get the top half loose and raised to get packing in there.

Nov 29, 2008
Hunter 30 San Diego
I think it was frozen to the rudder stock. The stuffing in the box is a whole other matter, even if I remove the quadrant, separate the stuffing box to replace the stuffing, there is no room above the stuffing box. I will have to tighten the stuffing box until the halves touch to reinstall the quadrant, unless the stuffing box will move down the distance the new stuffing needs 1/4 to 1/2 inch or more. Right now I am going to hope for the best, no more leak.

Jun 2, 2004
Steve, you wrote that you could not get the quandrant removed. Does it appear that the cables are in alignment with the quandrant? Is there a collar and a bearing surface above the quandrant to keep it from sinking? Rudders normally float when new but will waterlog and begin to sink over time. I am trying to understand why the quadrant is so close to the stuffing box.

Since you know the hose is movable on the rudder tube did you try to slide it down? In the picture it looks like there is a lot of tube showing below the hose. If the stuffing box is not hitting the top of the tube maybe the hose will slide down to give you some space.

Nov 29, 2008
Hunter 30 San Diego
Ed, the cables are aligned properly. There are the pinch bolts as well as a bolt that goes through the quadrant and rudder stock 90* from the pinch bolts. My rudder is the skeg mounted type, so I doubt it is sinking. I removed the upper clamp on the tube, but the tube is old and hard so I don"t want to create a problem with the tube. It is very possible that the stuffing box will slide down, however i don't want to disturb the packing that is there trying to slide it down. If there is no leak now, I'll wait until the boat is out of the water for paint to finish the repair and repack the stuffing box.

Jun 2, 2004
Sounds like a good plan Steve. However the packing is constantly being "disturbed" because the rudder stock is turning inside it. But so long as she is no longer leaking then waiting is good. Sail away. I'll be right behind you come February I hope.

Nov 29, 2008
Hunter 30 San Diego
Ed, what concerns me is not knowing exactly where the stuffing box was frozen to the stock,there could be rust or a rough spot on the stock. If I lower the stuffing box it could tear the stuffing and create a leak that is not there now.

Jun 2, 2004
True enough Steve. Go sailing and let us know how she does. Usually the stuffing box is above the waterline and there is no water pressure there. That changes with excessive heal or when backing down. So as long as your clamps top and bottom are tight then the only water you should see would be through the packing and out between the stuffing box and the quandrant.

Nov 29, 2008
Hunter 30 San Diego
The leak is fixed. Now I am going to lube the steering system, rebuild the manual bilge pump, recover the quarter birth wall and close it up...

Jun 2, 2004
Berth Steve, please. . . .

write berth. Usually I do not like to call attention to spelling because it could be a simple typo. But I could not let "birth" go. To be precise it is one word, quarterberth. Sorry if that makes me a PITA.

But what does "close it up" mean? Are you putting her away for awhile or is it something else? And you know with all the effort so far that you are just getting started. After ten years I cannot believe how long the to-do list remains.

Nov 29, 2008
Hunter 30 San Diego
Sorry ED that was an early morning typo. By close it up I just mean put the quaterberth wall back in. My to-do list is getting shorter, at the top is to sail and enjoy...

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Hi all
Hope I'm not too late to the discussion.
My 79 H30 has the same problem: the boot turns with the post. Also remember, the H 30 rudder itself sits on a pin on the bottom of the skeg, so, if the rudder had "dropped" you'd know it, I think.
Can either of you guys update the status of your situation?
I'm taking mine to the yard next week to get their impression of the rudder post and a quote for replacing the water tank...it leaks out onto the cabin sole.
Thanks

Nov 29, 2008
Hunter 30 San Diego
ggrizzard, please read post #25 on this page. My stuffing box no longer turns with the post. I have sailed her twice with no more leak. It cost me $20 for the aero kroil and a clamp, and a few hours of work. I have a felling the yard will cost a bit more than that.

Jun 2, 2004
And Grizzard. . . .

there is lots of info in the KnowledgeBase(KB) forum(under Boat Info tab) regarding water tanks, both fixing leaks and replacing. You are not going to believe how much the yard will charge for that.

Check more than one KB forum, for sure the H30, H33, and H37C.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Ohh Ohh cast not stones..

True enough Steve. Go sailing and let us know how she does. Usually the stuffing box is above the waterline and there is no water pressure there. That changes with excessive heal or when backing down. So as long as your clamps top and bottom are tight then the only water you should see would be through the packing and out between the stuffing box and the quandrant.
Ed.. My turn to be a PITA... Heel ;)

Jun 2, 2004
Now Claude, you know that was a typo. Spelling, it's the only thing that I really know. Just got a forwarded e-mail about spelling. This third grader writes a school story about horses. Problem is he spells it wrong, as in " Being around hores makes you feel good. My Dad likes hores too".

Status
Not open for further replies.