'77 Widgeon Mast Step Repair

Apr 10, 2017
O'Day Widgeon Tampa
I'm returning a '77 Widgeon to seaworthiness as the first step in a long-term restoration. After inspecting the mast step, I found some play in the raised platform (~4-6" off the keel/hull?) that supports the mast socket. I'm wondering if anyone has repaired/replaced this area of a Widgeon before and has any advice before I tear into it.

Thanks.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
When you say play, where is it? Is the whole thwart (what looks like a seat) moving or is the hole for the mast enlarged? Maybe a picture or two. I haven't been around a Widgeon in 40 years so I'm going from an old memory.

Apr 10, 2017
O'Day Widgeon Tampa
Thanks for the response! Attached is a picture of the mast step and the platform on which it rests. The mast step plate itself is firmly attached; it's the block beneath it that has "give".

Attachments

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Does the manual you got from Sunbird show that style of mast step? Do you think it's a solid piece of wood just glued to the hull or is it hollow and providing some function on the outside of the hull? I wonder why the step is offset. The Widgeon I had around 1977, was about 10 years older.

Apr 10, 2017
O'Day Widgeon Tampa
Nothing in the manual speaks to the mast step. But you are right about the curious position of the step on the block. The block appears to be organic to the boat but I can't imagine the factory just dropping the step and screwing it in like that. I wonder if D&R Marine (the company that bought up all of O'Day's parts when they shuttered) would look at the picture and be able to provide any input?

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Rudy may know something. You might just remove it, may be rotted anyway, and glass in a new one that centers the mast step. I would level the boat and stand the mast up plumb (with rake the manual calls for) to find the location. Welcome to the forum. Lot's of good information hiding behind the occasional BS here.

Apr 10, 2017
O'Day Widgeon Tampa
Thanks for the welcome! I've enjoyed lurking around these forums. Have learned a lot. Have reached out to D&R and we'll see what they say!

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
O'DAY did some funny things after creating the DS II, Javelin II and Widgeon II........ Those are the "second generation" versions of those boats, only the DS II retained the designation for very long (maybe because the DSA made such a stink about not being consulted about the changes and insisting that O'DAY continue building the DS I as well as the DS II) but anyway back to the question at hand. On the earlier, 1963-70 Widgeons that fiberglass, box-beam that the mast step sits on joined the forward flotation chamber to the forward end of the CB trunk and was also glassed along it's edges where they met the bilge. That pretty much locked it in place and the work was done right because, well... you could see it and it was a very visible part of the boat. On my DS II this same box beam exists, but it runs from the remnants of the molded forward flotation chamber to just forward of the mast step location. The mast step is supported by a plastic pipe between the underside of the cuddy floor and the bottom of the boat. The box beam sort of floats ahead of this loosely secured by fiberglass tape just like this Widgeon. In reality the beam serves little purpose on the DS II, really just keeping a partial bulkhead in place under the cuddy floor which keeps the chunks of foam contained forward of the forward bulkhead in the bow.

OH yeah, back to the Widgeon, looks like a Monday morning or Friday afternoon boat! Box beam is hollow fiberglass beam, glassed in place in bilge. If your mast is fairly well centered, is: not leaning to one side or the other.... I'd try to secure it In place with thickened epoxy resin, possibly insert some kind of solid bock (epoxy-coated wood?) bracing the box-beam against the foam aft of it (or is that forward?) as long as the foam is solidly fixed. If mast is leaning to one side or the other, carefully unscrew the mast step from the beam (after beam is locked in place) then carefully re-step mast, adjust so mast stands plumb. Now trace around mast step and then unstep mast and resecure mast step In the new position (new holes will be needed and the old ones filled in most likely). This procedure is (believe it or not?) pretty much what O'DAY suggested in the original Rigging guide! I guess maybe this mis-alignment wasn't as uncommon as we would surely wish it was!
I'm still curious as to what Rudy may say about this photo....... hope he has some good advice. The Widgeons that he had built (1990-2005) had a different mast step setup.

Attachments

Apr 10, 2017
O'Day Widgeon Tampa
This was extremely helpful. Thank you! "Monday morning or Friday afternoon boat..." I like that.

Jun 11, 2018
O'day Widgeon Lower Stanchfield
Resurrecting an old thread, but this might prove useful to someone.....
I had a similar problem on a mid 70's Widgeon. The nut holding the mast step in place had come off one screw and was loose on the other screw. Getting in there with a wrench was nigh on impossible. I made a stainless plate with two holes to match the holes in the mast step, then welded nuts in place. I replaced the original screws with longer ones. This way I had just enough room to drop the plate into the channel, wiggle it until I got both screws started, and then I could tighten the screws up. I used locktite on the screws so they do not loosen again. Problem solved.
The deck had been cracked where the mast goes through. I reinforced the area by using a 14" or so long piece of 1 1/4" angle iron. Cut a notch at the mid point on one side of the angle and bent it to match the vee in the front of the cockpit, then filled the notch with weld. Next I drilled two holes in each leg of the vee and matching holes in the deck. I used four stainless carriage bolts through the deck and self locking nuts underneath. The crack was ground to open it up and then filled with epoxy and glass.

Jun 2, 2004
Many of the 2nd generation (1971-83) Widgeons have damage around the point where the mast goes through the deck, if you lose control of the mast while stepping/unstepping that is quite a lever-arm tearing the deck! It takes a bit of "finesse" to guide the mast down through the hole and onto the step. I had enough trouble on my Widgeon even though as a 1969 (1st Gen) I could see the step under the seat. I think that if I trailered the boat (instead of being on a mooring all Summer) I might have installed a hinged maststep on top of the seat.

drd777

Jun 29, 2018
O'Day Widgeon SunCity FL
I wish to buy a Widgeon and put it on a friend.s dock at a small lake. I have read that the Widgeon with the foredeck can collect water between the hull and inner liner and cause a turtle at a mooring. The Widgeon without the foredeck doesn't seem to have a inner liner so would seem to be safer at a dock. However, I have read that the Widgeon is the only O'Day that is not Self Bailing. So my thoughts are to get a Widgeon without the foredeck and install a small 12Volt battery and bilge pump. Do you think that could work in Florida/???

Jun 2, 2004
You could install a pump in the bilge of the 1971-83 Widgeons also, water may collect in those due to leakage around the mast partner (hole in deck where mast steps. But a lot of rain would need to collect before any Widgeon would roll over. My 1969 model (totally open) was on a mooring all summer long for 6 seasons, only rolled over once in a surprise wind and rain storm that brought heavy rain and wind driven waves. I often thought t some kind of automatic pump, but never got around to installing one. I suspect in the storm that rolled my boat over, the pump would not have helped. If you had one of the ones with the forward deck, you could use a boom tent to keep most of the rain out.

Widgeon was not the only non-self-bailing O'DAY, The Original Day Sailer (DS I), original version of the Javelin, Rhodes 19, Sprite 10, and 1962-68 Mariners were all non-self-bailing. All could be equipped with a boom-tent if desired to keep most rain out. If boat is at a friend's dock, he/she could keep an eye on hte boat for you and call if there has been enough rain to affect the boat.