4JHE Yanmar Exhaust Information

Aug 24, 2017
Cape Islander 25 feet Newfoundland, Canada
Hi there everybody! How's it going?
I just joined up and got a lot of catching up to do. Lots to read here!
Right now, I am wondering if someone can help me out with some information regarding a boat and motor I purchased this past spring. (Really, the motor is the problem)
The motor is.............. a 4JHE Yanmar (44HP).... an excellent working motor. The problem is that this motor is very loud, noisy in the cabin of my boat...... to the point that I can bearly hear someone talking. There is a straight exhaust with a muffler/silencer which, may be pretty well burnt out, attached to the motor. I want to know if this can be changed to a Wet Exhaust. I think it can be and I am told that it probably came with that type of system in the beginning. Can someone shed some light on this? Appreciate the help.............Thanks!

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
Our 1991 was wet, I was not aware there were any shipped with the dry???

boat make and model? repowered??

Aug 24, 2017
Cape Islander 25 feet Newfoundland, Canada
Thanks for your reply..............KD3PC.......apprec it! I was not aware of it either until some time ago. I thought it was standard on those motors. So was yours very noisy? Do you have any ideas as to changing this system back over?

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
water cooled exhaust and relatively quiet, music and conversation was easy - even underway.

The only way I know to change it back - would be to acquire the original parts to do so, but if they used the space for the water lift muffler and exhaust components - then you would need to restore that space as well as the water lift needs to be a certain distance relative to the engine and the waterline to work properly.

Not sure what would/could be gained by direct exhaust.