4jh2e first oil change...

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
I've just done the first for me oil change on our H410. We ran the engine until the oil was good and hot and extracted all through the dipstick tube using a large hand pump vacuum extractor. We pulled around 6 litres our plus whatever was in the filter.

We added 6 litres afterwards, ran the engine and find it is at the top of the dipstick with 6 litres added. Is this pretty normal for most people? The capacity is 7 litres by the manual but I have no desire to overfill anything as that can cause all sorts of other problems.

We haven't tackled the gearbox yet, I believe its a KM4a but I will have to double check. Are most simply extracting and topping up with fresh oil? I haven't been able to find the oil specified on the plate anywhere as everywhere sells multi-grade oils now. I believe the plate shows 20API.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes... 6 liters pulled out 6 returned some at the bottom of the sump and likely some in the oil filter.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The transmission oil does not need changing as often as the engine; it is in a cleaner, enclosed space not subject to combustion by-products and not exposed to high heat. It is always good to check the level periodically and put a drop between thumb and forefinger to test for viscosity. Some Yanmar transmissions use ATF and others use motor oil. There should be a plate on the tranny indicating the type of lubricant used. It seems that most people correlate the API oil weight rating to the SAE Grading so the equivalent of API 20 would be SAE single weight 20. Now finding single weight motor oil is becoming harder and harder I use 10W30 in the transmission as it does not get as hot as the engine and should perform as 20W. I have seen the incorrect use of ATF in transmissions which use motor oil without any negative results, so these transmissions are tough and the use of a multigrade oil should not affect them. I change the transmission oil every 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Thanks Benny17441. That is what I suspected. Mine doesn't use ATF. I'm trying to zero the maintenance on all the items on this boat as it's new to us. The fluid is likely fine, but I don't know when it was done.