473 - Proper Alternator / regulator wiring

May 1, 2018
Beneteau 473 Hamburg
All,

we recently bought a used 473 (Model 2003) and are currently working on the electrical system. I was wondering if anybody could provide some insight into the intended wiring around the alternator (Engine is a PERKIS M65). The wiring has undergone quite some changes but it almost looks to me like Beneteau foresaw some sort of regulator mechanism despite the "machine sensed" alternator.

In our current setup, the alternator B+ leads to a shut continuing to a battery isolator (diode) which is then connected to engine and house bank. The alternator is also connected to the ignition and small lamp (this is a later addition by the previous owner). So far so good.

However, there are two small cables connected to each end of the shut disappearing somewhere further aft. Also, The diode has a small cable that is connected to a relay which again is connected to some cables that disappear.

Wiring diagram, theories about the setup, intended function etc. highly appreciated. Maybe I'm a little naive but I believe Beneteau had a plan.

Thanks a lot in advanced!
Benny

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
May 1, 2018
Beneteau 473 Hamburg
Stu,

thanks a lot for marinehowto.com great source! Guess I need to do some more digging on the "ghost" wires, other seem to have the same questions but just removed it and re-wired according to the thread you linked.