40.5 Engine Exhaust Anti-Siphon Loop

Dec 27, 2016
Hunter 40.5 Agat, Guam
Can anyone with a 93 era 40.5 or similar tell me, picture would help, on which hose between the engine block and engine oil heat exchanger to install the Groco anti-siphon loop?
I am not much of a mechanic. The oil heat exchanger corroded through a couple of years ago. The water hoses that came with the new heat exchanger were not designed with a siphon loop. I believe Hunter added the loop. We were in a hurry and installed the heat exchanger without the loop (big mistake). Now I am not sure exactly where to put the loop?
My boat is a 93 40.5, hull # HUN40526J293. The engine is a Yanmar 4JH2BE. The loop was at the very aft of the engine on the port side, a little above the top of the engine with a small relief hose leading down next to to the prop shaft to drain to the bilge. I just can’t recall which hose it was on. A pic woud really help.
Thanks much,
Roger

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Roger,

I have a 1997 h40.5 but I have the Volvo engine. Nevertheless, here is a picture. The hose routing is as follows- From the strainer to the transmission oil cooler, then to the raw water pump, then to the siphon break, and finally into the manifold heat exchanger. Mine also has a tube lead to the stuffing box area from the vent.

It is had to tell from this picture, but the hose from the water pump to the siphon break and to the heat exchanger are not formed hoses from Volvo. These were definitely a Hunter addition.

Volvo Penta - Transmission End.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter Legend 40.5 Rock Creek
I have a 93 and have the anti-syphon installed as follows. In the picture you are looking from around the starter to the upper rear. I have tried to indicate with an arrow where the device is located. I had to replace the anti-syphon because engine vibration caused it to malfunction. It is very difficult to access. Hope this helps.

Attachments