40.5 creaking in mast or compression post.

Jun 3, 2009
Hunter 40.5 Stamford CT
Hi all,

I have a bad creaking sound in the compression post and lower mast. I removed the cover plate inside thetcabin to look at the top of the compression post and the area glass is all good. however I think I found the problem. Tt looks like the post pipe is not evenly flat against the plate as I see I miniscule gap forward of the post pipe and on the aft side see what looks to be finely ground up aluminum, almost like graphite lubricant would look. So what I think I have is a mast that is raked aft too much thus not evenly sitting or putting more pressure aft. I do see some take in the mast that might be too much given she is an in mast furler. 1997 h40.5. did anyone have this issue? What would be your thoughts? It happens at anchor when I hear the cracking noize and I know it's not the boom.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I also have a 1997 h40.5 but it is not a furling mast. In fact I didn't know that a furling mast was available in 1997. Anyway, I can't tell from your pictures how much rake you have, but if judging the flatness of the mast on the mast steps your goal, I would try using a feeler gauge around the mast base to see if there is any clearance at the front of the mast. If so that would indicate that the mast is not sitting flat but is resting on the back of the step. I have never made this measurement myself so I don't know what might be "normal".

Jun 3, 2009
Hunter 40.5 Stamford CT
Thanks Rich. I did see a gap in the front and the aft section the post pipe was grinding into the post plate. So I'm tginking all the weight is not evenly distributed and that the rig is leaning backwards. I'm going to have a rigger look at it. I can't think of anything else at this point.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Thanks Rich. I did see a gap in the front and the aft section the post pipe was grinding into the post plate. So I'm tginking all the weight is not evenly distributed and that the rig is leaning backwards. I'm going to have a rigger look at it. I can't think of anything else at this point.
A rigger should be able to id the problem.

Although not a Hunter, our son used to have a racing boat with runners. Too much bend in the mast due to over-tightening the upwind runner always created a sound similar to what you described and served as a warning to loosen the runner.