4-stroke genset and obm wont start

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
My 4-stroke portable Elemex genset(Honda engine) and Suzuki DF2.5 are used once a year. I would run it till dry before putting away. Now they wont run after topping fresh gasoline. Do I suppose there's gum at the carb nozzle? Is there a liquid I could put in the tank to dissolve the gum? I don't want to dismantle the carb if I could avoid it.

Ken

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I am going to guess that you guys do not have ethanol in your gasoline? If not, your diagnosis is probably correct.. gum in the carburetor.. unfortunately, once the carb gets to the point where the engine won't run with the choke partially on, the passages are so plugged that the detergent/solvents cannot get to the gunk to clear it out.. In that case, a disassembly and thorough cleaning is the only way to get it running again.
Gasoline is a blend of hydrocarbons and sometimes the refiners run the cracking units a bit off resulting in components that have a very high tendency to form gum.. You may have gotten a bad batch of gasoline..

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Thanks Kloudie1, no better time to start learning to strip carb than now I guess