3GM30F Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2011
Hunter 34 Long Beach, MS
Oh well, the 3YM from diesel engine trader is sold and a new one is $9,200. Thinking that's insane for this old H34.

Looks like a rebuild from Al in WI it is.

Thanks again fellas!

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Dont know him, but from what ive read here, that Al guy up in WI is highly regarded. $5K is a lot of money, dont know what to tell ya there. But, when you say injectors and a pump, what is the reason?

If the injectors and pump can be salvaged, you wont have that expense. You will still however have the crankshaft cost, plus whatever you need to do with pistons, valve job, etc.. The flywheel bolts will come out with persuasion. Seals are cheap.

And then, youll always have that welded crankshaft waking you up at night in a cold sweat, worrying if its going to come unglued. If you can afford it, the motor from Al isnt a bad way to go. For $500, you might want to keep your old engine and tranmission for parts, or part it out yourself.

May 7, 2011
Hunter 34 Long Beach, MS
Dont know him, but from what ive read here, that Al guy up in WI is highly regarded. $5K is a lot of money, dont know what to tell ya there. But, when you say injectors and a pump, what is the reason?

If the injectors and pump can be salvaged, you wont have that expense. You will still however have the crankshaft cost, plus whatever you need to do with pistons, valve job, etc.. The flywheel bolts will come out with persuasion. Seals are cheap.

And then, youll always have that welded crankshaft waking you up at night in a cold sweat, worrying if its going to come unglued. If you can afford it, the motor from Al isnt a bad way to go. For $500, you might want to keep your old engine and tranmission for parts, or part it out yourself.
First diagnosis on this engine was pulling the injectors and having them tested, they needed to be rebuilt, I then pulled the injection pump to have it tested cleaned.

That's kind of my thoughts with only getting $500 for the core. The good injection pump is worth that, or keep it for spares.

Either way, 4 weeks for Al to have the engine ready.... Guess I'll be waiting for more $$ for a bimini/dodger :cussing:

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
As they say, whoever "they" are, "its only money", and "it only hurts once". Only "they" never seem to ask if we can afford it.

It really all depends on what your comfortable with. I wouldnt pass up a better engine if it was rediculous to repair mine.

My decision point would occur at around 50% the cost of a rebuilt. Lay it all on the table and determine exactly what it will cost to fix it, including the crankshaft. Are the bores within spec? Are the pistons? can the pistons be re-used? Everything needs to be inspected so you dont leave anything out. So in this case, by go-no go decision would occur at around $2500. I dont think I could justify more than that unless I could find a good used crank.

May 21, 2009
Hunter 30 Smithfield, VA
As they say, whoever "they" are, "its only money", and "it only hurts once". Only "they" never seem to ask if we can afford it.

It really all depends on what your comfortable with. I wouldnt pass up a better engine if it was rediculous to repair mine.

My decision point would occur at around 50% the cost of a rebuilt. Lay it all on the table and determine exactly what it will cost to fix it, including the crankshaft. Are the bores within spec? Are the pistons? can the pistons be re-used? Everything needs to be inspected so you dont leave anything out. So in this case, by go-no go decision would occur at around $2500. I dont think I could justify more than that unless I could find a good used crank.
X2 - that's good advice. We feel your pain, fwiw.

May 7, 2011
Hunter 34 Long Beach, MS
Thanks guys! I think I'm just going to bite the bullet. Money is only half of the equation, time is the other. I'm not scheduled for a day off until June-ish, and when I do have free time cussing at this same engine over and over is getting old!
Hopefully I'll be on the water soon!

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
You'll like Al's service and quality. I bought a rebuilt from him 3 years ago and have been very happy. He really stands behind his products and will do everything to make sure you are happy. You can tell him I said so. I am just a happy customer and we still talk for the sake of it from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.