37C Main Traveller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
I don't think raising the traveler solves the interference Jim. Those locker covers have square ends and need clearance for most of their travel. You might cut some PlasTeak to put the traveler on a forward slope. But that would cause the loads to be at an angle. Not sure I like that. But what did Blaise write about moving the blocks forward on the track for locker clearance? Mark's installation with the cleats facing forward really isn't so bad.

Looking at this Garhauer picture( http://garhauermarine.com/ProductSpecs.cfm?pid=178 ), could the cam cleat be relocated? What if it was moved inboard of the locker lid? Then it would have to face athwartship, port cleat faces starboard and vice versa. Maybe Garhauer would even customize it, they are good at that.

JimBr

Dec 28, 2007
Hunter 37-C Grand River, OH
I used Harkin track car and control ends. High profile track does not have holes in the top of the track. They are captive and internal so less chance of leaks. Here is a picture.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Thanks much for the picture. I like your setup. I hope the the forward facing cleats won't be awkward to use. You taught me something I did not know. I did not know the original traveler had teak under it. The PO did not give me that piece, probably because he had to destroy it for removal.

Jim

JimBr

Dec 28, 2007
Hunter 37-C Grand River, OH
I don't think raising the traveler solves the interference Jim. Those locker covers have square ends and need clearance for most of their travel. You might cut some PlasTeak to put the traveler on a forward slope. But that would cause the loads to be at an angle. Not sure I like that. But what did Blaise write about moving the blocks forward on the track for locker clearance? Mark's installation with the cleats facing forward really isn't so bad.

Looking at this Garhauer picture( http://garhauermarine.com/ProductSpecs.cfm?pid=178 ), could the cam cleat be relocated? What if it was moved inboard of the locker lid? Then it would have to face athwartship, port cleat faces starboard and vice versa. Maybe Garhauer would even customize it, they are good at that.

Hi Ed,

Good thoughts. If I use the existing car, I could ensure it was centered to access lockers. Maybe moving forward as Blaise did.

This forum sure is terrific for trying it on paper first.

I know I am going backwards, moving to the bridgedeck, but It just never felt sturdy enough on the cabin top.

I have the original cabintop winch. I like your idea of using a fiddle block with a cleat, or as Mark did.

Thanks,

Jim

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
I think for a cockpit traveler it is best to bring the leads up the sides of the coamings. Blaise - could you post a photo of your setup please? I, like Ed S, have been doing manual adjstments but I am now convinced by Blaise that an easily adjustable traveler is much safer. Didn't I learn anything while waisting my youth racing high performance dinghies?

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
I am presently in Ohio enjoying Ed's snow. I will try to get one of my crew to take some pictures and send them to me.

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
Ed s after sailing yours i will talk you into a new setup. It is all about easy. easy to move, easy to trim and did i say easy to move? well thats kinda it isnt it?
easy to move is what you need. I used my travler a lot to depower or shape the main. i know theres enough racer in you to do that!

Jun 2, 2004
Well Ed when I saw the price of the Garhauer I started to rethink. It really is not too costly an upgrade. Getting the old one off and new one installed could be tough. But I have always wanted to replace that teak base with PlasTeak. Probably get the MT-1( http://garhauermarine.com/ProductSpecs.cfm?pid=178 ) from Garhauer(http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=34 ).

P.S. as I look at the illustration why couldn't the cam cleats be on the car? If the top block on the car had the becket I don't see why it wouldn't work. This would solve the problem of the cam cleats hanging over the locker lids. I have e-mailed Garhauer with the question.

Sep 3, 2010
Hunter 37C Annapolis
When it was time to replace my traveler I explored all the alternatives. If you have blocks with cleats at the the ends of the travel, you cannot open the cockpit lockers (ugh!!). The only alternative I found was to use a Harkin windward sheeting traveler with jut blocks at the ends. Still have trouble opening the cockpit lockers when the car is too close. It is great to use to depower (or power up) the main in heavy winds. To fit I raised the traveler with a heavier piece of teak to replace the original teak which I am willing to part with (I have started spring cleaning early!!). I am willing to supply pictures of the retrofit!!!

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter H37C, H23 Annapolis MD
Emil -
Please post a photo. I stopped bye to check out your set up before I started my update but you had already pulled for the winter. I think your set up might help others in making the leap to this Mod.

Mark

Jun 2, 2004
Yep, another day and already learned something: http://www.harken.com/traveler/WindwardSheeting.php . This is exactly what I had asked Garhauer to do. They wrote back that I should call and discuss which I haven't done yet. With windward sheeting you would simply have to move the car towards the center to let the locker lid clear. Almost looks like I might keep the track that I have. Why did you have to use a thicker teak mount Emil?

Whoa, just checked the price. Car alone is $400.!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
I had windward sheeting on 2 of my race boats. It is great. It's on the list for my 37c but not near the top yet. I don't think it will work on the track that came on my boat, so $400 is just the beginning

Jun 2, 2004
Traveler pictures from Blaise

Blaise is working. . . .in Ohio! He sent some pictures that he asked me to post that are germane to this thread. Actually I forget how we got here but I'll post them anyway. Adjustable traveler and jib track on a winning H37C named "Midnight Sun".

P.S. never learned how to post pictures in the thread.
P.S.S. just noticed the crank on the backstay. Serious stuff!

Attachments

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks Ed. By the way, the backstay adjuster is a Harken Barberossa (sp?) which has worked well since 1986. We shorten the backstay 4" when going uphill, unless the chop requires some headstay sag to power up the boat in light air.

Jun 2, 2004
So Blaise, you shorten the backstay four inches. But what is your starting point? In other words what does the rake and bend look like going "downhill"?

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Ed, the starting point is the backstay being just tight enough to keep the mast from inverting. The headstay will sag a few inches at this setting going uphill. As the wind increases we increase the backstay to eliminate the sag. The most we ever shorten it is about four inches which is a lot of pressure. The mast is bent a little at this load, which changes the draft in the main. Anytime you alter the backstay, you have to re-trim the sails. After we race, we completely unload the rig, which I think is good for the boat. When we just go sailing, we shorten it about an inch and leave it.
T

Jun 2, 2004
"When we just go sailing" means when there is no other boat on the horizon. I know how you think. :)

Sep 3, 2010
Hunter 37C Annapolis
Blaise (and Ed),

Like your jib tracks, but to bolt them down did you go all the way through the interior liner. I have been reluctant to do this because the boat has an inner liner which makes it difficult to mount any new hardware on the deck. My Cal 2 -29 did not have liner and I could mount just about every thing I wanted on the deck with no effort (other than backing plates). And did Gerhauer make backing plates for the jib tracks?? Or did you just use large washers???

Jun 2, 2004
I will also be interested to hear how those tracks are mounted. I have two different mounting techniques on Ladylove. For the handrails I drilled 3/4" holes and epoxied in hardwood dowels. Then using long stainless screws put the rails back on. I don't think that would be adequate for the forces on the jib track. My deck organizers(double cheekblocks) are through-bolted. On the inside I just use large stainless fender washers. Here again the forces on a big jib might be too much to do a rail like that.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
I still use the rail for jib sheet blocks, but other boats I have owned had bolts and washers every 4 to 6 inches. Kind of like the way the toe rails are fastened, but with fender washers. One boat had a long metal strip inside dirlled to match the genoa track. Bolts went thru both pieces of metal.

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
I think the big deal about the harken system is the ease in tacking with the windward sheeting cars. they release when you tack and go to the setting for the other tack.

Status
Not open for further replies.