37 Cutter mast track

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
On my 37 cutter i see the track that the mainsail slugs ride through is an insert and is in two sections. The mainsail slugs are hanging up at the junction of the two sections. I haven't had a chance to get hauled up to inspect why it is happening but has anyone experienced this? From deck level the two tracks look to be pretty well aligned with each other. Is the track free floating in the mast or have some some sort of fasteners? Could the rig tuning somehow affected their alignment? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!

Thanks,

Manny

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
The mast track slides into the mast extrusion from the bottom, after removing the gooseneck. Behind the track is a channel that carries all the mast wiring. You can see where the track slides in in this diagram:
5280-cruising.html_txt_5280-mast.gif

I have never had any issues with the mainsail slides jamming on my boat. I lube them with a silicone spray every spring. It is possible that there is a problem at the joint in your track. Try smoothing it with sandpaper or maybe the judicious use of a Dremel...

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
Thanks Jim. Hopefully I can get someone to haul me up so I can take a closer look. I was thinking the same, maybe a little sanding or a dremel may be the cure but wasn't sure if there was a way it could get out of alignment.