37 Cutter boom vang

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
Anyone have pictures of how the vang sheet is configured on the 37? Is sheet the proper term for the line that makes up the vang? It's missing on mine but i see some blocks on the deck, some fittings on the boom, and the cabin top winch is there as well. I'm assuming that is what that winch is for... I'd like to run the sheets and purchase whatever tackle is needed to restore that.
Anyone know approximately how much line is needed?

Thanks!

Manny

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Is sheet the proper term for the line that makes up the vang?
Yah, it's a sheet. Maybe. Measurement just takes a few minutes. Prolly 4 to 1.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Is sheet the proper term for the line that makes up the vang?

Thanks!

Manny
Here's a Wikipedia definition:
In sailing, a sheet is a line (rope, cable or chain) used to control the movable corner(s) (clews) of a sail.
I've never heard anyone call it a "vang sheet" .. they just say "vang"
A vang is made up of it's tackle blocks and a control line.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I've attached a picture of our 4:1 dual block attachment. None of my halyards or vang line come back to the cockpit, but I assume your rigging would be made similarly. The arrows highlight the two blocks, one on the boom, the other attached to mast base.

Boom Vang.jpg

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@Manny ,

Good morning! That's a peculiar situation, and I've found it interesting that the majority of used boats that I've sailed/boarded have missing boom vangs. Often times, new sailors will remove them because they either have no idea what they're for, or they think it's unnecessary and don't need it. If the blocks are there, then you've got ninety percent of the work (and money) taken care of; however if they haven't been used for a while, I would service them with WD40 and make sure the bearings in the blocks are still functioning properly. Also, make sure the blocks that are there are the right ones; the block on the boom should be closest to the mast, and the lower block is either attached to the cabin top just behind the mast, or directly onto the mast toward the bottom facing aft. If they're the right blocks, then all you've gotta do is run some line through the system! OH, don't forget to check and make sure there's a cam-cleat for the line at the bottom block where the sheet exits the block system. I once sailed a Capri 14.2 that had a boom vang with no cleat!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Some arrangements have the cam cleat at the boom end so you can cleat/uncleat from the cockpit. In post 5, it looks like you'd have to be on deck to cleat the vang- but maybe it's just not a clear picture? My vang terminates in a cabintop line stopper, so cam cleat is a moot point for me. YMMV.