36 to 41' Hunters.....what would be your choice and why?

Paula

Dec 18, 2015
oday 272 chesapeake bay
As we think we are narrowing down what used hunter we want to purchase, we come across another option and our search once again increases in scope. So in the 36 to 41 length hunter models, what is your preference on the bay and why? More room in the cabin is always good, but how does that translate to sailing, docking, dock availability (which we are already finding pricey and rare for the 41). What years are good VS others (looking at 10 -20 year old range)?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Delivered a friend's '09 36 a few years back. He told me that he wished he had spent a few more $$ and gotten the 38 with TWO heads. Just a thought.

Paula

Dec 18, 2015
oday 272 chesapeake bay
Delivered a friend's '09 36 a few years back. He told me that he wished he had spent a few more $$ and gotten the 38 with TWO heads. Just a thought.
Yes with two grown daughters we like the double head, and a major consideration!

macdu

Aug 31, 2014
Hunter 49 Vancouver
Space and waterline. I'm not sure what the exact waterline difference is between the 36 and 41 is but you will not regret having the extra space or additional waterline when underway.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
how does that translate to sailing, docking, dock availability
I think you are not going to find much difference in sailing ability among the 36 to 41 foot range. Usually the bigger the more forgiving. If you can dock a 36 you can dock a 41. Don't know about availability in your area. Draft, however, could be an issue in the bay I would think.

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
How often do those daughters sail with you? We have found that in the 8 years we have owned our 2009 H36, we have sailed her ourselves 97% of the time, despite the fact that we have 2 grown daughters and 5 grandchildren, all of whom live within 30 min of where we moor.

Yes with two grown daughters we like the double head, and a major consideration!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
We love our 2007 H-36 and only regret we have is we wish the rear bed was a little more space,the down side is one person
can not can not get out with out the outer side getting out.
If the extra $$$$ is not a problem and deeper draft and taller mast and extra cost all not a problem than go for the 41 for sure.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Hi Paula,

Figure out your priorities clearly and it gets easier.

eg) Performance, versus workload. Indoor space versus outdoor space. How many sleeping berths, how many heads?

For us waterline was a big factor. We wanted the longest waterline for the least $$ in order to help performance. We also wanted a deep draft boat, and a traditional mainsail to help performance. Finally we were more concerned with a big cockpit, than a large aft cabin as we spend more time there than in bed when out on the water. In the end we found the boat that met our needs best and we could afford was the 410.

All of these boats have high side decks that make stepping off from the side a challenge when the docks are low. I can't see how going from 36-41 will make much of a difference in terms of docking. For us backing in and stepping off from the cockpit works really well, otherwise we have a danfender step that can be used and is hung by the outer stays. Bigger boats are intimidating at first, but the Hunters all really turn well in close quarters and back up predictably. The hardest thing is to turn the boat into the wind at low speeds to port since you don't have the propwash to help out. This is pretty common of all boats with RH props.

As far as good and bad years, you just need to get on board each and see for yourself. I've seen some models that had teak that didn't look as nice as others, (looked more like oak that teak), some have a stainless arch instead of fiberglass, some have steel rudder posts others have fibreglass. At 10-20 years most big issues should have either been sorted or should be obvious to find. Find a model you will love for a long time, and make your offer conditional of survey.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
I have the 376 and have been thinking about moving up for a few years now, however, to me it is not worth the extra money just to move up a few feet. There really isn't much difference in ability or space, but a huge difference in price. What I considering now is 12 feet bigger. That will give me what I'm looking for, but for the past 12 years my 376 has done wonders for me with it's 5' draft in sailing shallow waters as well as crossing oceans.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
We have a 2003 Hunter 356 and have spent 1017 days on it since we bought new in March 2003. The only boat we ever considered after we bought this one was the Hunter 41. We liked the extra space in the 41 but didn't like the changes in elevation on the floor. We thought we might fall moving around. The extra storage in the forward berth would have been nice but we don't see the value in two heads the way we use our boat. We did like the rear Master BR but it still means one has to crawl over the other to get out of bed. For us there would have been a $150,000 upcharge to change and we just didn't see the advantage for the $ to go up. Both boats are a lot of space for the length. Try them both out. Sailing will be virtually the same on both as will dealing with docking.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="seadaddler, ...the down side is one person can not can not get out with out the outer side getting out.
...[/QUOTE]

SeaD, do you sleep fore and aft, or athwart-ship? My B323 allows either way, and is probably athwart by B's design, but fore and aft, head to stern, allows either person to get out.

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
As we think we are narrowing down what used hunter we want to purchase, we come across another option and our search once again increases in scope. So in the 36 to 41 length hunter models, what is your preference on the bay and why? More room in the cabin is always good, but how does that translate to sailing, docking, dock availability (which we are already finding pricey and rare for the 41). What years are good VS others (looking at 10 -20 year old range)?
If I were you I would get the newest, lightly used, one that has a good fit out that meets your general wants.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
We can only sleep starboard head and port with legs and a friend has a Benny and think they can sleep bow to stern.
My wife doesn't think it is bad and she sleeps outside and gets up more but other than that my H-36 is the perfect boat for us
and don't really need other guest sleep aboard other than a few men trips I did and it worked out just fine.
The 36 has plenty of room and storage and big cockpit for extra guesst for day sailing and because I have Gen and AC here in Fl. we have plenty of room for guesst to enjoy pot lucks in our main cabin.
The 36 is very fast and so is the 41 and easy to sail by myself and have raced and won against the 41 and we cruise with our club for many 3 weeks trips every year and we love our boat and so do many of our friends that we cruise with,plenty of power motoring and easy to handle at the dock.
Bigger is really nice and once went on a friends nice 41 and fell in love but so much more $$$$$ and very happy
with our H-36 for the 2 of us.
nick

Sep 30, 2007
hunter 356 little river
Having owned a 2002 H 356 ,I can say it was the perfect boat for us. Several times we had 8 adults on board for day sailing.
Roomy and comfortable under way or dockside. Great performer under sail or motor. I would buy another one if I ever buy another big boat. Huge cockpit.
I give it 5 stars.
Richard

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Watch out for the faux teak laminate widely used on the later model boats starting 8-10 years ago. You told us you didn't like it last year about this time when you were asking about the 356 vs the 36. I imagine the needed maintenance on a 20 year old 41 would be costly. I would go smaller if it meant newer. We bought a 17 y.o. h30 that looked great and still easily sunk $25k in it. Even with our h36 being 7 years old when we bought it, it is in need of sails and I already replaced the sanitation plumbing and macerator, rebuilt electric head, rebuilt the tach, replaced the AC cooling pump, replaced the holding tank and water tank level sensors, and did other normal maintenance items. It only becomes more costly with age, which is fine if you have the money and the time to do the work. See if you can determine the "no kidding" hours on the engine. If no hour meter, maybe double what seller or broker tells you to gauge potential maintenance issues that may be in the near future. We were told 350-400 by the seller and after tach hour meter repair, saw 697 actual.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
We have owned our 2004 AC41 since 2009. It is a great boat. I single hand it all the time, in all conditions. When we purchased it our kids were in highschool, and college. The 2 heads and extra space have been great for our family get togethers. I originally did not want a gen set, but ours came with one, Fisher Panda. I would not now buy a boat without one, as it extends the season on both ends with heat. Typically in this class of boat you get decent electronics, including an Auto pilot.

Since I single hand a lot, and anchor out almost every night we are on the boat, here is my must have list: In mast furling, Autopilot, Chart plotter, properly installed permanent mount Genset( not a gas fueled portable honda), windlass, dinghy davits, big yanmar, heat /Air conditioning, high capacity racor fuel filters with sight bowls(500 model).

The more turnkey your boat, and the newer the boat, the more time you spend sailing rather than fixing. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

PS. We have the laminate flooring and love it! We also have a full teak interior with full wood fiddles on the counters. In later years a lot of these nice to have items were lost, or changed to help bring the price point down.

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
At the Seattle Boat Show just past, I had a long talk with a former Hunter dealer of long standing who told me that she thought that the H36 model was the best-sailing design that Hunter produced during the Luhrs years.
We purchased ours the year before they stopped making them.
If you can get an H36, I highly recommend it. We've had ours for 8 years now, and we love her so much, we returned and now live aboard as full time cruisers. Yes, she'll likely need some refurbishing and customizing, and you'll need to budget for that. But the design and the specific compromises (of which the biggest concession will be the aft cabin sleeping arrangement) are well worth it!

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
IMHO the 386 is perfect for the Bay. Single head, but as stuartsw mentioned how often will the daughters be with you? Sails very well, single handed is a breeze, keeps up with 40 and 42 footers, (ok after 3hrs they are about 1/4 NM ahead) 5ft. draft is a must in the Bay deeper greatly limits your choices. Less maintenance with single A/C, single head, single H2O and fuel tanks, more options on slips, plenty of storage.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Have had 2007 41DS for 8 years. Great boat. 2007 I believe is last year with lead keel and teak interior. Bow thruster important for docking.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I really think that my 2007 H-36 quality is tops and after ten years have had very few problems and other than changing
to a electric sea era everything still stock from when we ordered her new,even sailed her from NY to florida 90% all ocean sailing to Flin 2008.
I have some real long time sailors come sailing with me and they can't stop saying all good and really envy me and my H-36,
they still try getting me to race in the local area but really loving cruising down to the Keys and up to Tarpon Springs,if my wife would go would go to Bahama's for sure.