352 Keel separation

Aug 1, 2014
Beneteau Oceanis 352 Meaford, Georgian Bay
Hello all,
I have just had a survey completed on a 2000 Beneteau 352. There is a gap at the rear of the keel where it is separating. Has anyone had this issue?
My last boat was an older Catalina that had the "Smile" and was easily maintained by 5200.
Does anyone know, is this similar or more serious an issue.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Gary

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Is that " rear of keel "? If so, seems odd, unless maybe the boat was backed into something. I believe a 352 has a cast wing keel, very similar to my 351,and is attached with bolts. Odd also that you can see a separation, (I suspect more damage in the grid section) . The bolts on our 351 are cad plated, not stainless as one would expect, I'm in the process of replacing them now and they are also surprising short at 2 3/4" long!

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
I have a 1999 352 and have not noticed any gap at the rear of the keel. My keel is lead. Do you have a picture of the area?

Dec 31, 2016
As noted above on joker460's is a lead keel,(learned something new today, thanks!) So if you get a chance ,check to see if it has keel bolts or keel nuts . Cast keel will have bolts, lead keel will have nuts.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Did mine last year could only find them from Fastenal M20 X90MM fully threaded zinc chromate (double plated)
upgraded them from 8.8 to 10.9 . Also made up stainless steel plates with gussets all around covering more area than the washers( if any water comes in bilge bolts never see water) bedded with 5200. The front bolt is smaller can't remember size ( meant to snap in a grounding) left it 8.8 .The cast keels have a longer thinner wing and are thinner than the lead keel.Same boat in club has a lead keel,I believe you could order it with either. P/N 11114629 for bolts.
The 351 shared the same hull and cast iron keel as First 35.7 with a cruising interior and top and furler under deck

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
There is a bearing plate, washer, & nut on each
Also I assume the boat is on the hard, so the boat is sitting on it's keel. Wouldn't think a gap would show.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I also did joint keel to hull with 5200, started coming off in a couple of areas. A lot of people are doing this joint with West Gflex thickened epoxy 655 with good results

Dec 31, 2016
Here's one of mine, I had it out and turned it back in, The square washer under the bolt is stainless, 2.5" x 2.5" x .250 thick(water heater has been leaking for several years, going to replace it as well). Beneteau claims you can do them one at a time while the boat is in the water.

Attachments

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Regarding the boat with the keel separating at the stern, I would be very wary of buying it. Sometime there is a bit of separation at the front where the hull curves up and the keel may have been molded flat......but that does not look good.

Go around the yard (and other yards) and see if you can find the same boat and see if the issue presents. I bet it won't.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Taking a better look at your pic that is not keel separation ,the keel on the 351 can't speak for the 352 cruves away from the hull at the rear . It just needs to be cleaned and filled with 5200 or gflex 655. There is no damage there, any damage to the matrix from a grounding causes the keel to push up there would not be a gap there.That goes for any beneteau , the glue pops either side of the keel bolts, thus the stringers are not attached to the hull,causing flexing up of the hull when boat is put on the keel,the floor inside the boat flexs up too.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2014
Beneteau Oceanis 352 Meaford, Georgian Bay
Thanks...thats what my research and surveyor have concluded...she is headed to my harbour in about 2 weeks.!
And yes, the 352 has the same keel that curves away.
Roll on Summer.

Dec 31, 2016
Did mine last year could only find them from Fastenal M20 X90MM fully threaded zinc chromate (double plated)
upgraded them from 8.8 to 10.9 . Also made up stainless steel plates with gussets all around covering more area than the washers( if any water comes in bilge bolts never see water) bedded with 5200. The front bolt is smaller can't remember size ( meant to snap in a grounding) left it 8.8 .The cast keels have a longer thinner wing and are thinner than the lead keel.Same boat in club has a lead keel,I believe you could order it with either. P/N 11114629 for bolts.
The 351 shared the same hull and cast iron keel as First 35.7 with a cruising interior and top and furler under deck
After receiving the wrong keel bolts from Beneteau, in S.C. for mine, (discovered a few weeks back), the 90 mm have been on back order ever since. Mechone, thanks for this info on the part number from Fastenal, this will get me back on the water soon!