34 Kerosene Stove/Oven

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris Glander

I have a Kenyon Kerosene Stove on my 84 h34 and the burner is not working. Has anyone had problems? Do you know of a source of supply for the burner parts. I called Kenyon and they were absolutely no help. They said they do not carry and of the parts any more and that I was just out of luck.

S

Scott Johnston

Clean the Jets

When we got our 83-H34 the previous owners had not used the stove. At first we could not get the thing to light (see point 2 below). I took the burners apart and cleaned them to ensure that the jets were not clogged. Has been working fine since. Just remember 3 things with this stove. 1) Pump up just over 10 lbs of pressure. 2) Dont forget to open the valve next to the tank! (rookie mistake). 3) Fill the cup below the burner with alcohol and allow to burn off to pre-heat the burner before turning the burner on. At first we were thinking of switching to propane, but after using this unit for 6 months we are very happy with it. And you can get Kero nearly anywhere! We were missing a knob for the oven and the people at Kenyon were very helpfull. Guess it must be who you get on the phone. They couldn't get a replacement but found an old part that they thought might work and sent it to us for free! Scott 83-H34 Island Hops

D

Derek Rowell

Replace the burner

A few years ago West Marine carried replcement kerosene burners that fitted the Kenyon stove directly. I bought three because I thought they might become obsolete. I don't see them in the catalog anymore. I believe that the burner is a standard size and maybe somebody else carries them. Derek

B

Barry

Kerosene Stoves - They're OK

I had to replace a burner and found that burners made by other company's are almost identical. Some were designed for diesel but work ok. Several friends had upgraded to propane so I inherited their spare parts. A great idea while using these. DO the preheat with a benzomatic propane torch instead of alcohol. Much quicker and cleaner! Barry s/v "PER DEIM too"

S

Scott Johnston

Barry - Propane Torch???

Barry, A few questions. 1) What type/size of propane torch? Is this similar to the torches that plumbers used? 2) How long does a canister of fuel last? 3) How long do you pre-heat for? I think that using the torch is a great idea. For the moment I have been keeping a small bottle of alcohol under the sink and using an old turkey baster to fill the cups. Makes it tricky to light the second burner with one already lit! (unrelated...) Hope your summer season is going as well on Per Diem as ours is on Island Hops. We did a run from St. Simons to Hilton Head and back last weekend. First night passage - It was great! Thanks, Scott 83-H34 Island Hops

C

Clyde Lichtenwalner

Force 10

You probably just need a spud and pin. Force 10 makes a diesel/kero heater that uses virtually the same burner as the Kenyon stove. The parts are interchangable, and of higher quality. More important, instructions are provided with the parts. Rebuilt with Force 10 spare parts, the kero burner should work well for years. I have a whole spare stove purchased cheap for parts. Never needed them after finding the Force 10 rebuild parts

Status
Not open for further replies.