322 Engine access from Head

Jul 15, 2014
Oday 322 Freeport, Bahamas
I'm thinking about creating an opening for engine access from the head. Has anyone done this?

I've now owned my 322 for over 2-years and love the boat. Just went through Hurricane Matthew in Freeport, Bahamas. We had winds over 170mph. She was tied between 4 pilings with 22 lines. Six lines snapped (not chaffed) and I mention this because I was concerned that cleats would rip out of the deck but the only damage I suffered was two broken lifelines. She is a pre leveraged buyout boat and I keep getting more impressed with the built quality.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Nice story, good "keeper!!!" :)

Many boats have these kinds of things. We have two: one side for dipstick access, the other side for the back of the alternator (great to see when the wires fall off the back!!!:)).

A two foot by two foot square teak door, wood or formica inset, works well for these kinds of uses.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Tanq,
I have not done it, but will be interested in how it works if you do it.

Access to the port side of the engine is bad.

The interior wall in my head is a white panel of some sort.

Good news about surviving the hurricane with minimal damage. I pulled my boat for the season, and looked over the stub/keel joint, and everything looks fine from the outside. Bilge stays dry over the season, so I think I will let it ride a bit longer. Will need to drop the keel or drill a hole and check the layup thickness.

Greg

Jul 12, 2011
Oday 302 st pete
Ive got a round screw out port on my 302. Provides enough room for accessing the oil filter. My setup is mirrored from yours though - head on starboard, aft cabin on port.

Aug 12, 2016
O'Day 322 Seattle, WA
The PO installed this plastic hatch. It provides decent access to the engine and lets in extra light. This hatch style is fairly waterproof too which is nice as it keeps shower water out of the engine compartment. It's mounted so the door swings up, which is hard to keep open - the velcro adhesive lasts 3 minutes before it swings shut. I will rotate this 180 deg so the hatch door opens down.

Attachments

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Nice, but I think I'd rather have it removable. Could have used that access when I replaced my alternator this past summer. It's "on my list!".