310 with Linear Drive Autopilot

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Anyone know the owner of the 2000 C310 for sale in Anacortes, WA? From the description on YW, they have a linear drive autopilot. This is my next upgrade and I would love to see some pictures of how it was done on another 310.

Thanks,

Jesse
FYI 18-30 foot seas this week down here. Almost all the ferry service is shut down. Had to use the dinghy to rescue some linemen last night that were stranded when the Water Island ferry dock was pummeled by waves and the concrete dock started to break up. So its not all sunshine and beaches down here. Still take it over Boston in the winter. ;)

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Anyone know the owner of the 2000 C310 for sale in Anacortes, WA? From the description on YW, they have a linear drive autopilot. This is my next upgrade and I would love to see some pictures of how it was done on another 310.

Thanks,

Jesse
FYI 18-30 foot seas this week down here. Almost all the ferry service is shut down. Had to use the dinghy to rescue some linemen last night that were stranded when the Water Island ferry dock was pummeled by waves and the concrete dock started to break up. So its not all sunshine and beaches down here. Still take it over Boston in the winter. ;)
Maybe a dumb question, but what's the advantage of the linear drive over the rotary version? Power consumption, response speed, simplicity?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Rotary drives are much stronger. The wheel pilot is virtually useless in the trades. We get out in the trades blowing over 30 kts and 10-15 foot swell, especially on the quarter and all we get is error messages.

If a below deck autopilot is installed correctly it is also a redundant system. You install the Edson bronze autopilot tiller by attaching it to the shaft. If a wire or chain or the quadrant breaks you can still steer the boat.

I am likely going with the Raymarine system but if anyone has suggestions I'm listening.

JK

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I have a Raymarine linear drive on my C&C 110 (36' &13,000 lbs.) and highly recommend it. I would have thought it would be overkill on a 31 foot boat like yours but if you're sailing in 30 knot winds with 10-15 foot swells it's probably the right gear. I know there are other people that use a Raymarine wheel drive on my size boat and don't have problems with it in "normal" conditions but when the unexpected weather system catches you off guard, the more robust system will do exactly what you expect it to do.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I have a Raymarine linear drive on my C&C 110 (36' &13,000 lbs.) and highly recommend it. I would have thought it would be overkill on a 31 foot boat like yours but if you're sailing in 30 knot winds with 10-15 foot swells it's probably the right gear. I know there are other people that use a Raymarine wheel drive on my size boat and don't have problems with it in "normal" conditions but when the unexpected weather system catches you off guard, the more robust system will do exactly what you expect it to do.
Hey Ted,

My wife and I sailed our 310 from Boston to the Caribbean. We live in the Caribbean now and island hop. We are currently in the USVI for a few years to work to refill the kitty and do some additional upgrades, like this autopilot. So we aren't the typical users but we keep finding our boat to be just as capable as others we meet out cruising. Often we are leading the pack on crossings.

I just wish I could find a way to make the shower a little bigger.

Jesse

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
On using the auto pilot.........
If you are under sail or using the engine, waves coming from aft will over power the unit .
Changing the repose settings does not help.
The wave power on the rudder is too much for the belt system.
I never had a problem into the wind.

paulj
:hook2:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA

Thanks,

Jesse
I hear you, Jesse. I live on the north shore of Maui, and our local boat ramp is severely deteriorated due to constant wave action. The concrete dock at Hana on the east end of the island has been rebuilt several times, but doesn't seem to last long. Paradise has it's drawbacks, but like you said, I'll take it over the winter weather in Boston, especially this week, with two Nor'easters in a row!