30A Shore Power with Pro Charge Ultra 1230 ?

Feb 25, 2018
Sabre 30 Long Island
Hi,
Is my factory installed wiring undersized for a 30A battery charger ?

I have a 30A Shore Power connector on my 86 Sabre 30.

The AC diagram in the Sabre 30 manual lists "all wiring is 12 Gauge 3 Conductor Cord"
This seems to contradict the ABYC recommendations for a 10AWG run for a 30A Shore Power no ?
I would need to trace it, but the incoming run MAY be larger, 10 AWG.
It's probably less than a 10ft run from shore power inlet to AC panel with a 30A main 2 pole breaker.

The manual for the PCU Battery Charger lists 14 AWG with an 11A fuse as the AC input wire sizing. Copied from the manual;
"PCU1230 3 core 14 AWG 11 A"

I could go a size smaller to 20A charger but Maine recommends the 30A with "large studs as opposed to a small terminal strip for the DC output"

Thanks for any help

Darren

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Hi,
Is my factory installed wiring undersized for a 30A battery charger ?

I have a 30A Shore Power connector on my 86 Sabre 30.

The AC diagram in the Sabre 30 manual lists "all wiring is 12 Gauge 3 Conductor Cord"
This seems to contradict the ABYC recommendations for a 10AWG run for a 30A Shore Power no ?
I would need to trace it, but the incoming run MAY be larger, 10 AWG.
It's probably less than a 10ft run from shore power inlet to AC panel with a 30A main 2 pole breaker.

The manual for the PCU Battery Charger lists 14 AWG with an 11A fuse as the AC input wire sizing. Copied from the manual;
"PCU1230 3 core 14 AWG 11 A"

I could go a size smaller to 20A charger but Maine recommends the 30A with "large studs as opposed to a small terminal strip for the DC output"

Thanks for any help

Darren
30A is the DC output. The AC side will run on a standard 15A breaker and 14/3 wire. A 30A DC charger will not overload the 30A AC side...

Do you already have the charger?

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Darren, your battery charger is rated for the total DC amps output. So in your case 30A DC. The charger input is 120v ac. So at an efficency rating of say 90%, your ac input current to the charger will be in the order of 4 amps ac. Your manual states maximum distance for your charger using 14 awg would be 50'. If your charger is less than that from your panel you are good to go.

Feb 25, 2018
Sabre 30 Long Island
Hi Maine,
Aha, well I guess the only stupid question is the unasked one....yep makes sense now. Thank you.

There is actually a 14/3 run originating at the AC panel "Battery Charger" 20A circuit breaker.

I do not have the charger yet but intend to purchase soon and from your very helpful website.

Thanks again

Darren

Feb 25, 2018
Sabre 30 Long Island
Hello Below,
It's all making more sense now, I should have realized that the 30A was the DC side output rate!

Thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If I recall correctly, on my Sabre 30 (#52) the wire from the shore power inlet to the circuit breakers was 10 gauge and from there it to the outlets it was 12 ga. But, it has been a few years since I owned the boat, so memory may not serve me that well.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
If I recall correctly, on my Sabre 30 (#52) the wire from the shore power inlet to the circuit breakers was 10 gauge and from there it to the outlets it was 12 ga. But, it has been a few years since I owned the boat, so memory may not serve me that well.
I hope that is correct, because if you provide a 30 amp connection, then the wiring must be large enough to support 30 amps for the given distance and 12 ga is too small for 30 amps. In fact, I just installed a second battery charger doubling my 40 amps DC to 80 amps DC output, so I figure my input is about 10 amps AC and that is making my 5' 12 gauge wires a little warm causing me some concern. The gauge calculators say it is fine but...hmmm :)