309 Cabin Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2007
- - Bayside, NY
I have a 2006, 309 (#26) and the light over the galley sink finally blew out. I took down the light fixture (it's round and the center swivels) to put in a new bulb and I can't figure out how to get the bulb out. I feel like a dummy but.....I'd like to change the bulb.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
You need to use a sharp object like a pocket knife blade, and work it under the black ring that surrounds the glass lens, and carefully pry out the lens. Took me a while to figure this out, too! You might look into replacing with a flat LED array.

Oct 30, 2011
Catalina 309 Fort Myers
Round black light fixture

I have the same problem. I asked Catalina parts dept but no reply. Here is pic.

Attachments

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2007
I'm heading to the boat to launch today. I'll try to snap a couple of close ups of how to do it. Once you know the trick it takes about 3 seconds per light.

Jan 10, 2007
- - Bayside, NY
Thanks, John! I think there's a joke in here somewhere....How many sailors does it take to change a light bulb....

Mar 20, 2007
Full disclosure: I didn't figure this out on my own. I was at the factory in Florida last year, and asked the guy in the parts department how to open the fixture to put in an LED bulb. He ended up calling in one of the electrical installers from the factory floor, who showed us how to do it. Apparently, they come to the factory with halogen bulbs, and are replaced with LEDs during installation in the boat.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Frankfort IL
I had the same frustration until my dealer sales rep told me about the black ring snap-out. It sure isn't obvious looking at the fixture!

Status
Not open for further replies.