2gm20 mixing elbow stainless or cast.

Gzito

Apr 9, 2015
oday 322 hempstead harbor
My sailboat has a Yanmar 2gm20fw 1987
I want to replace the exhaust mixing elbow.
Should I spend the extra money for a stainless one or stick with cast iron?
Thanks

Dec 29, 2014
Hunter 33 Dallas
My sailboat has a Yanmar 2gm20fw 1987
I want to replace the exhaust mixing elbow.
Should I spend the extra money for a stainless one or stick with cast iron?
Thanks
USE the stainless,, I changed mine to stainless and love it...

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
How long has your stainless mixing elbow been in service?
Thanks.....

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
I almost bought a SS elbow, then I justified an OEM yanmar replacement since it lasted 20 years. The guys at Tacoma diesel said bring it in every 3 years and they'll clean it for free, so I couldn't pass that up. :biggrin:

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Do you anticipate you will keep the boat for longer than another 20 years? It is hardly a display item.

Gzito

Apr 9, 2015
I plan on keeping the boat for many years.
I know these elbows are replaced every 4-5 years. Since I need to replace mine now I was going to make the investment for SS.
It's one less thing to worry about while cruising. Less maintenance is the key. And I'm surprised more boaters don't use them.
Thanks for all the input. Thanks tango glad to read good feed back about it.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Well just because it's ss doesn't mean no maintenance. Diesels chock up do to the change in temp and will block exhaust side while water deposits will accumulate on water side.

Gzito

Apr 9, 2015
The problem I've found with cast iron is that it delaminates, flakes apart from the heat and cold and it causes premature blockage. I've owned a Yanmar 2gm20 for 15 years and this will be the 3rd elbow not counting the 3-4 times I have removed it to clean it out. I hope to avoid most of this labor with the SS.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Cast iron??? Mine yanmar mixing elbow is aluminum...... I thought

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Gzito said:
The problem I've found with cast iron is that it delaminates, flakes apart from the heat and cold and it causes premature blockage. I've owned a Yanmar 2gm20 for 15 years and this will be the 3rd elbow not counting the 3-4 times I have removed it to clean it out. I hope to avoid most of this labor with the SS.
Clean the rust out that moves and seems to accumulate in your lift muffler as well.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I would match metals to the engine. Hot salt water with quenching acidic exhaust gas in not best service for stainless.
But..
Either one will work.
Jim...

PS: It is good marine practice not mix metals to minimize galvanic corrosion potential.

Jan 20, 2017
Yamaha 33 Vancouver
The original Yanmar 2GM20 service manual recommends replacing the elbow every two years whether the unit is faulty or not. It also recommends routine maintenance on the elbow over those two years as well. Overheating issues/warped heads are common on this engine, and all attributable to not following the Yanmar service recommendations.