28 O'Day ports

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
IMG_4235.JPG
My 1982 O'Day 28 has small opening ports instead of the larger fixed windows. Can anyone tell me why they made my boat this way? Are there any others? I haven't seen any others like this.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Mystery to me. I thought opening ports were used till 79 or 80 then the fixed ports were added. Perhaps a po modified them. Rudy at D and R will likely know.
She looks in great shape.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Nice boat. Consider yourself lucky. Ports are far easier to repair/replace and usually leak a lot less than big fixed ports. Tell your wife how lucky she is, to have you and that boat. :)

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
Not the way it works, Stu. I tell her how lucky I am to have her then do what I have to do so I don't get murdered in my sleep, like most guys I know. Thanks for the compliment though. NJLarry, this boat came from the factory with the small port lights. There's no modification of the interior liner.

Sep 23, 2009
Then you lucked out with a special collectors edition. :)
Or maybe the orginal owner ordered it that way.

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 28 East Tawas
I too have an O'day 28 with the six opening ports. two smaller ones in the head area and four larger ones in the salon. Replaced them two years ago with the gray ports sold here. Yours look flush mounted. mine have an outside flange. They don't give much ventilation but help a bit if there is a breeze in the marina. We like ours...

Sep 23, 2009
Yo Mike, what year is your 28? I think many are trying to figure out when o'day went to the large fixedports.

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
I sure don't know much about a 28, what are the two round (things) just forward of the forward hatch on each side? BTW boat looks nice.

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 28 East Tawas
Yo Mike, what year is your 28? I think many are trying to figure out when o'day went to the large fixedports.
It is a 1980. I think, but can't be sure, that the opening ports in the salon were an option. There is (was) a guy named "Rudy" who lived back east and worked for O'day who might know some history. He bought a huge amount of O'day inventory when AMF took over and sold them for a while. Don't know if he is still around or even alive for that matter.

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
Jackdaw, when I removed one to clean the mounting surface I found it to be rather light in weight compared to others I've installed on other boats. They may well be highly rated, they certainly do the job and I'm not saying they are in any way inadequate.