Registered users don't see ads

272LE Engine Replacement

Discussion in 'Bigger Boats' started by fhujber, Jan 11, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. fhujber

fhujber

Joined Aug 17, 2017
    10 posts, 1 likes
    O'Day 272LE
    US MYC
    I'm advised by my mechanic that the Universal M12 inboard diesel in my boat has seen way better days and that it's time for a replacement. It is currently inoperable. Can anyone recommend a replacement make & model? Can anyone comment on the value of removing the existing engine and rebuilding it?

2. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    2,161 posts, 870 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    Beta makes a full line designed to replace the Universal Diesels.

Les

fhujber likes this.
  3. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    2,161 posts, 870 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    As far as rebuilding it’s just tractor parts that would need refreshing, unless your block Or injector pump is toast fairly inexpensive parts wise (guess under $2k with rebuilt head).

fhujber likes this.
  4. eherlihy

eherlihy

Joined Aug 17, 2010
    153 posts, 19 likes
    Oday 35
    US Barrington

fhujber likes this.
  5. Michael Davis

Michael Davis

Joined Jan 5, 2017
    868 posts, 398 likes
    Beneteau First 38
    Ca Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
    It's a pretty easy re-build. Down loaded the manual, bought parts from Kubota. Sent the head out to "Heads are Us". Total cost about $500.00 Cdn. and a few hours of my time. (my first rebuild and it's still running, about 1000hrs. now)

fhujber likes this.
  6. dennisv

dennisv

Joined Nov 30, 2009
    51 posts, 8 likes
    Oday 28
    US Lake Michigan
    Another question. The Universal Diesel is the OEM engine, and if this is the first rebuild, that means 20, 25, years of service. That might be the textbook definition of reliable. What would be the better "option" for the day you sell the boat to move upto a ODay 30/31 or 34/35? A 272 with a rebuilt OEM engine, or the Beta engine. I've heard good things about the Beta, but it is a "change". I like Corvettes, but hate customized Corvette, and seldom, if ever, are they worth more money. Wouldn't the same thinking apply to the 272?

7. Michael Davis

Michael Davis

Joined Jan 5, 2017
    868 posts, 398 likes
    Beneteau First 38
    I don't know what the used boat market is like in your area but I know that you never get back what you put in if you have to pay someone else to do the work. If you can rebuild the engine yourself you should do it otherwise I think you'll get a dime back for every dollar you spend. Depends on how much you like your boat!

TomY likes this.
  8. Capt jgw

Capt jgw

Joined Feb 8, 2014
    1,010 posts, 60 likes
    Columbia 36
    US Muskegon
    If you can find a used Z400 tractor engine it's a simple job to transfer all the "Marine" parts from the old to the new. That's the bell housing and gear, the water cooled exhaust manifold and HX, and the raw water pump. Paint the new one Universal Bronze and no one will ever know it's not original. I'm now doing that with an M25. Used engine off eBay for $1200 and done deal.

Michael Davis likes this.
  9. Michael Davis

Michael Davis

Joined Jan 5, 2017
    868 posts, 398 likes
    Beneteau First 38
    Even easier! The M-12 and the 5411 are based on the Z-500 Kubota

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  10. Panta Rei

Panta Rei

Joined Nov 3, 2010
    564 posts, 7 likes
    Oday 39
    US Lake mills WI
    sell the boat to someone who can rebuild the engine or hang an outboard off the back.

11. fhujber

fhujber

Joined Aug 17, 2017
    10 posts, 1 likes
    O'Day 272LE
    US MYC
    For a thirty-year-old boat, it's in pretty good shape excluding the engine. Hull is solid and free of bubbles, stress cracks are minimal and small, standing rigging looks clean. The outboard solution had been suggested, but somehow doesn't feel right when I consider why I selected a 272LE in the first place. A well-regarded mechanic nearby has offered to go through the engine with me in his shop and determine if it can be fixed. (He thinks it can.) If so, he'll guide me through the repairs. If not, I'll be looking for a replacement inboard, preferably new.

12. Michael Davis

Michael Davis

Joined Jan 5, 2017
    868 posts, 398 likes
    Beneteau First 38
    The nice thing about rebuilding it yourself is that you end up having so much knowledge about your engine. You never worry again when you're "out there".

13. Pat

Pat

Joined Jun 7, 2004
    1,248 posts, 51 likes
    Oday 272LE
    US Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
    Our O'day 272 LE was delivered to Wichita from the factory in Ma. and still has the original 10 hp.engine manufactured in Massachusetts by Westerbeke a.10 hp...We purchased the boat in 1986 or 85 directly from the O'day dealer in Wichita.....aside from changing the oil, the engine has required no repairs......I did have an issue with the gages in the stern of the cockpit but it was easy to fix and the Westerbeke folks were very willing to help with any questions or concerns.....Good luck to you.......Patrick in Wichita..

20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!