26m Blue Version Paint Fade

Sep 8, 2017
Magregor 26M Grande Prairie
So, I'm still looking for that perfect or at least as close to perfect Mac 26M to buy. I found one of the Blue ones but the paint seems pretty sun faded. Is there wax or other compounds that can bring the paint back to near new or would I need to repaint the whole thing if I bought it?

Nov 29, 2017
MacGregor 26M Home
The blue is in the gel coat. A mild compounding, and then a good wax job should do wonders.

I have a white M, and a mild compound followed by a good waxing does wonders every year.

The wax you use is purely your preference. I have always just used liquid turtle wax. You can buy fancier. It’s going to be your boat.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017
MacGregor 26M Home
Wow!

That’s a lot of work.

I like my way better

And even better, it works well, and has for twelve years. Less time working, more time sailing.

Feb 22, 2014
macgregor 26M home, Mesa, AZ
So, I'm still looking for that perfect or at least as close to perfect Mac 26M to buy. I found one of the Blue ones but the paint seems pretty sun faded. Is there wax or other compounds that can bring the paint back to near new or would I need to repaint the whole thing if I bought it?
Too bad you're not closer to Mesa, AZ where you could look at my nice Mac26M. Lots of folks here for the winter. It's 80 degrees and suny. I found that once the colored hull is sun faded you can spend LOTS of time trying to polish it back. I've tried lots of methods but be lazy and just apply any oil to the surface. Cooking oil, coconut oil, even old motor oil. Even in Arizona heat and sun, the finish lasts about 3 months. Wash off any dirt first or your application rag gets dirty faster.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}

phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/d/macgregor-26m-power-sailboat/6372924416.html

Oct 15, 2006
MacGregor 26X Central Florida
I have a white 1998 26X that sits in a marina in Florida year round. I use Newglass II to refurbish the appearance. A one-time investment of six coats followed up by an annual two coats seems to keep the gelcoat from powdering up and/or fading. I like it because it does not involve a lot of rubbing or polishing or buffing, just cleaning the boat thoroughly and rubbing the stuff on. Last about a year for me.