260 Sea toilet

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
For me there would have to be an anti syphon in the inlet side to stop bowl fill. Admittedly with your drawing and gravity I would not need a discharge pump.
Most of the systems I have seen use an over-sized drain, which eliminates the need for the pump. Gravity (and the weight of 5+ gallons of liquid) take care it it.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Jack, you're describing a complete marine toilet and holding tank system, which eats up a LOT of storage space on a 26 boat. We're working on turning his 5 gallon portable portapotty into an "MSD" (fitted to be pumped out) version.

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
Easy to do from a self-contained system: just put a y-valve and pump (pro'bly should be a manual diaphragm pump on 26' sailboat) in the pumpout line...line coming off one side of the y-valve to a deck pumpout fitting, line off the other side to the pump and then to a thru-hull (which you may have to install. Can be above waterline, but a lot nicer if below).
because of cost and reliability I would agree to a manual pump, IYHO do you think the discharge would benefit with a joker in the line

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
IYHO do you think the discharge would benefit with a joker in the line
IMHO, no. ...It would actually cause problems. Joker valves in toilets create vacuum to PUSH bowl contents out (find the article "joker valve 101" in the plumbing and sanitation forum for the complete description of a joker valve's REAL function). Contents of a portapotty tank--any tank--are PULLED out, either by a dockside pumpout or an onboard pump. Just keep the seacock on the discharge thru-hull closed except when actually dumping the tank.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jack, you're describing a complete marine toilet and holding tank system, which eats up a LOT of storage space on a 26 boat. We're working on turning his 5 gallon portable portapotty into an "MSD" (fitted to be pumped out) version.
Hi Peggie, two things.

One, a toilet and a 5 gallon hull/wall tank do not take up that much room at all. 90% of the time the tank mounts directly behind the toilet in unused space.

Two, there are no pump-outs in Greece! No one there does that. It all goes into the sea, its just a question of where and when. Systems like I describe allow the user to not have to flush immediately into the harbor or anchorage.

Nov 10, 2017
IMHO, no. ...It would actually cause problems. Joker valves in toilets create vacuum to PUSH bowl contents out (find the article "joker valve 101" in the plumbing and sanitation forum for the complete description of a joker valve's REAL function). Contents of a portapotty tank--any tank--are PULLED out, either by a dockside pumpout or an onboard pump. Just keep the seacock on the discharge thru-hull closed except when actually dumping the tank.
The way I look at it, the Jabsco, Johnson and many other loo's have jokers in the system and when flushing the waste it is macerated via smasher and joker. I had
gulper diaphragm discharge pumps on my last yacht which had two jokers pre pump nd two post pump With the way the PP works there is no way of maceration pre discharge. Do you think this will/can cause a problem?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
With the way the PP works there is no way of maceration pre discharge. Do you think this will/can cause a problem?
Nope. Solid waste is 75% water, so dissolves very quickly in water...quick-dissolve TP also breaks up very quickly in water...so a diaphragm pump can easily clear out the tank in just a few strokes. Always a good idea to follow pumping or dumping the tank with bucket of water to rinse out the tank.

Nov 10, 2017
Nope. Solid waste is 75% water, so dissolves very quickly in water...quick-dissolve TP also breaks up very quickly in water...so a diaphragm pump can easily clear out the tank in just a few strokes. Always a good idea to follow pumping or dumping the tank with bucket of water to rinse out the tank.
Thank you Peggie, I will take guidance from your experience. Next is, how do I obtain the parts to convert mine to MSD

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The original Hunter 260 head holding tank was a 20 gallon plastic tank mounted on a supplied platform behind the aft rear berth on the port side. It can be seen by opening the access door. You have indicated it is a Hunter Legend 260 indicating it was built in England when Hunter had a plant there. Why Hunter Legend, there was already another company called Hunter in England at the time.
If you do have that, you can remove the rear berth wall by removing the bottom screws and then pulling the wall out from the bottom first but understand it is lodged in there so there will be some difficulty pulling it out. Let me know.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
.I've been busy offline...surprised no one else has jumped in.
You should be able to find a fitting that'll work as your pumpout fitting on the tank at any good hardware store that has a plumbing department...you might want to take someone with you who's had a little more experience with figuring out what'll work.
The rest you'll need to find at boat stores...a deck pumpout fitting, a y-valve, some hose (measure first so you'll know how much to buy)....a thru-hull fitting (see attached photo) for the vent line...a y-valve (aka diverter valve) and a manual diaphragm pump. Again, talk to other boat owners who've had more experience that you've had (don't feel slighted...none of us were born knowing anything about boats, we've all had to learn everything).
Spend some time online looking for all these things to learn brand names and even what they look like, etc. Then come back here to ask for opinions about which ones people are happiest with...and to ask the additional questions you're guaranteed to have.