"260 mast lowering

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Tyler, here's a picture of my 26 trailer, the tongue should be pretty much the same as the 260 trailer. My bow stand is 5-3/4" back from the end of the square trailer tongue (not the extension) . Measure yours, see if it has been moved back. Looking at your pics it looks right, but when you say, you climb on the transom and the tongue lifts a little, that doesn't sound right at all. When I climb up the stern ladder, my rig doesn't feel like it's gonna tip at all and I weigh 220 lbs.
20151120_104036.jpg 20171101_205953.jpg
https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=15&aid=100080&mn=26

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Are you pulling or have the extension out on the trailer.

What you want is 10% of the entire load on the tongue for safety to prevent swaying but less with dual axles.

Aug 6, 2017
Pearson 31-2 Atwood Lake
Doug, I haven't taken a measurement yet, but it looks exactly like that to my eye.

I don't know how much it lifts the bow and haven't ever confirmed that it actually lifts the wheel stand, but the weight of the trailer definitely shifts. I weigh 165 or so and I was a bit nervous to climb up when it wasn't attached to the truck. Now that it's attached I jump right up, but I still feel a bit of an unnerving weight shift. Maybe it's like heeling over, I just have to get used to it and know that I won't tip the boat :)

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
Nice picture shows the over hangs at the rear not popular in the UK. Now if the Rudder blade pivot came out easy and I moved the high rear support yoke to the front and had a low wooden one at the rear there would be no big over hangs. I guess the police might be worried a truck might impale itself on the mast end.
iangraham, Not sure of the overhang rules in the UK but the 260 is beyond the maximum (2.55 metre)UK/EU width.
I have had a quick measure of the trailer and this is 2.50 metre, so the trailer seems to be legal but not the boat. Now whether the police would look for that extra 30 cm amidships I wouldn't know, but forewarned is forearmed.
As for the mast, how far forward of the pulpit would it be safe, to the draw bar?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Tyler, have you tried moving the boat say two or three inches forward on the bunk boards which you will have to move the winch stand back. In addition I noticed one major issue on the trailer. Under the bow of the boat, it rests on the damn roller, suggest lowering that down all the way or removing it. You could put on what @Kermit has on his trailer. Kermit take a photo. The way it is now happens to make it harder to load the boat on and off the trailer.
If the center board is still being pushed down onto the keel try, well you will need to raise the bunk supports up to alleviate that problem and yes it will have to be all the supports.

As to any strap over the bow of the boat, quit that altogether with only one strap over the cockpit and make sure you twist the straps to keep it from slapping it in the wind against the hull.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I hope to take the picture tomorrow (Thursday). If I don’t go tomorrow it’ll be at least a whole nother week before I can take it.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Tyler, have you tried moving the boat say two or three inches forward on the bunk boards which you will have to move the winch stand back. In addition I noticed one major issue on the trailer. Under the bow of the boat, it rests on the damn roller, suggest lowering that down all the way or removing it. You could put on what @Kermit has on his trailer. Kermit take a photo. The way it is now happens to make it harder to load the boat on and off the trailer.
If the center board is still being pushed down onto the keel try, well you will need to raise the bunk supports up to alleviate that problem and yes it will have to be all the supports.

As to any strap over the bow of the boat, quit that altogether with only one strap over the cockpit and make sure you twist the straps to keep it from slapping it in the wind against the hull.
Here you go.

Attachments