260 Battery Location

Dklein

Nov 1, 2018
Hunter 260 Looking to Trailer sail around
I am a new 1999 Hunter 260 WB owner in Nebraska, that we purchased and picked up in New York in January. I have many questions never have sailed the boat. My wife and I are just retired and hope to pull the boat everywhere that is not in Nebraska in the winter!!. Can't wait!! I have been working on modifications and fixing things this winter between all the Blizzards and -16 degrees. I have never sailed this boat so I need some advice: 1st question Is there too much weight in the stern with two lead batteries, 9 gals of gas, 9.8 4 stroke Tohatsu motor and 2- 4 people. Should I consider moving the battery forward somewhere? There is wasted storage in the aft behind the batteries that could be used. I have a portable head so there is no tank. 2nd quick question: Where can-should I mount my ProMariner ProNautic 1220P charger? It needs to be hard wired and have ventilation. We hope to sleep in the back berth.. Thanks!!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
My recommendation would be to sail the boat a few times before you decide where the final placement may be best. I'm not familiar with the boat but would think that 150 lbs. of batteries in the stern should not make a significant difference; I would be more concerned about the boat listing to port or starboard. As far as the charger just place it in a dry well ventilated location close to the batteries. Gassing should not be a problem unless batteries are going bad.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have my two batteries on the port side in the aft locker behind the berth and my O.B. is to starboard. The gas can is centerline so all-in-all it is well balanced and my boat does not list. My battery charger is mounted on the aft bulkhead very close to the battery locker. It is easy to see the LED lights so you know what is going on so I would recommend that you mount it in a similar fashion (YMMV). I can get you pictures next weekend if you think that would help. I also have a solar charger mounted on my mast crutch pole and a solar regulator mounted near the charger.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Feel free to contact me regarding your boat via private message. Former dealer who was very much involved with this boat. Rgranger has the 26 which is the forerunner of the 260 but rear berth area the same. Your contact info is kept private

Jan 19, 2010
Feel free to contact me regarding your boat via private message. Former dealer who was very much involved with this boat. Rgranger has the 26 which is the forerunner of the 260 but rear berth area the same. Your contact info is kept private
And Dave is the guy who wired my shore power and placed the battery and charger in their current locations. So... PM him. He knows this boat inside and out.

Dklein

Nov 1, 2018
I do want to mount a Solar panel(s) somewhere. I would love to see your idea of how you mounted to the Mast crutch pole. I am thinking I would like about 100 amp panel to start with. We hope to sleep in that back berth. If you mount the charger to the back bulkhead did it put off much heat? also, did you mount it on the wood or the top liner? Dave, I will PM with more questions. I have been a fan of your amazing knowledge of 260 for a long time!! Thanks for all the help everyone!!

Jan 19, 2010
I did not have issues with heat on the charger but I didn't typically sleep on the boat at the slip and the charger is only operating when plugged into shore power. I don't have a lot of power needs and the solar panel seemed to keep my batteries topped off.
2018-05-31 11.20.32.jpg
2016-03-07 16.25.04.jpg
IMG_2137.JPG
2018-05-31 11.32.16.jpg

Dklein

Nov 1, 2018
Thanks for the pictures. What is the amp of your panel? I was thinking I would like to start at 100 amp. I have seen that solar mount on Amazon. Thanks again

Jan 19, 2010
I think mine is only a 10. Like I said, I don't have a lot of power needs. I have three fans, cabin and nav lights and a VHF radio. I have already converted my cabin lights to LED as well as the stern nav light and anchor light. So once I convert the bow lights, I'll have even less power needs.

The 10 A panel has been more than enough for a week long cruise.

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
We purchased a Goal Zero Yeti 150 with a portable panel. It's nice due to the versatility/portability of it. You can get larger units as well. This is the first year to slip our's so I'm going to try to run a trickle charger off of it to the ship's battery. If that won't work, may go the shore power mod route myself.

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
That looks a tidy set up and I will probably do a similar job. Hope you don't mind or object but this is a pet hate of mine, did you cut the U bolt threads back on the finished project? When I was an engineering apprentice I would have got in to serious trouble leaving all that thread.
I did also notice your tiller in pic#3. I wish my H260 tiller would go as far round as yours does, it looks so much better for lashing off at anchor or at dock.

Jan 19, 2010
.... did you cut the U bolt threads back on the finished project? When I was an engineering apprentice I would have got in to serious trouble leaving all that thread.

Jan 19, 2010
Rgranger
Need some photos of fans with location of wire running
Huh? These were the ones that were in there when I purchased from Jon. There is another on the port side and one in the aft berth. I have no idea where the wires run. They go someplace behind the liner
v-berth.png

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Rgranger boat is a Hunter 26. The 260 took it over in model year 1998 but actually in August 1997 when first built. The wires for the fans are tucked away between the ceiling liner and deck. Drilled hole and fished a snake or wire between the two down to the bottom of the ceiling liner tucked just behind it running aft to starboard. Tricky part is running the wire above the galley. I think on the 260 a channel was put in but in most cases pinched which was a pain. I use to pull back the carpet to run small wires and glue it back in place. The reason for hiding the wires was first looks and second little sticky fingers not getting hold of them.
Running wires or to get to those wires for the light, I would on the 26 channel leading to both sides of the boat in ceiling liner adjacent to compression post, I would drill for an inspection port or a cover by teak or whatever to get access and then snake over to the starboard. Sometimes it was difficult toward the starboard side of the ceiling so I cut a small hole to the diameter of a plastic tan insert that you can buy at hardware stores for example Ace but probably thru the forum store. and then following the above. On the 260, I recall there was access to those channels but a photo of them near the compression post would help.
I spoke to the poster advising to nstall a table style plate on the 260 just aft of the rear of the rear berth bulkhead which can be removed by removing the bottom screws but it is a tight fit coming out down and then turning to the starboard with it to get it out of the way. However, there must be an inspection of the backside for anything attached to the rear of that bulkhead like wires. As for the plate if wood, encase it with fiberglass and then sand smooth and spray paint with tan Krylon plastic paint. There is a channel on the upper right starboard for wires encapsulated by the foam.

If running wires from electrical panel to thru hulls I would get them over to the right side or starboard and running them down underneath the rear berth platform to the thru hulls. I would pull the carpet back adjacent to the galley and glue the wires in place and recover the carpet. IF RUNNIGN WIRES THRU BULKHEADS AFTER HOLES HAVE BEEN DRILLED, TO PREVENT CHAFE, GET THE BLACK PLASTIC PLUM OR CORROGATED BLACK TUBING CUT IN HALF AND PUT AROUND THE HOLES!!!!

As for shore power, I use to install the fitting in the port locker to keep the connection of the shore power chord from getting wet. RGranger, please provide a photo of that.
You can choose either 20 or 30 amp but make sure what your marina has. The first box to be hooked up should be either in the galley first or going the other way or port side in the head with a GFI which in my books is mandatory. From there daisy chain but be cautious of the amp draw. I did secure tubes under the bench work as conduit for the electical wire to be installed with the first or last to be for example on the 26/260 to the right. Any other questions fire away.