26 S motor mount

Oct 8, 2014
NA NA NA
Happy 2018!
So many off season projects this year, so little time! Anyway, I would love some input on a project for my 26 S. I am hoping to install a motor mount for my Nissan 9.8 long shaft, which is currently mounted into the stock motor bay. I have 2 goals for this project. First, I would really like a full range of motion for the outboard (currently the handle hits the inside walls when I turn). Second, when I run under power (which I do a fair amount of when wind is sparse) mine rattles quite loudly! I am a mount will quiet it somewhat. I am considering the one listed below by amazon. I really appreciate Sumner's post on this topic (but I don't have his fabrication skills- mad respect!). Does anyone have any input on this particular mount or one they liked? I would like to be aound $100 if possible.

Thanks,
John

https://www.amazon.com/M-ARINE-BABY...5121092&sr=8-43&keywords=outboard+motor+mount

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Also check out what Macregor_sailor did on page 100 post # 1997 in the what did you do thread. It probably requires an extra long shaft but its simple and with the cutout you dont need any moving parts. I have my outboard mounting moved back by 2 inch and up by about 2.5 inches and can fully rotate the outboard and since I have the Xlong shaft, the prop is still 2.5 inch#es deeper than you get with the stock transom and a long shaft.

edit.. woops.. re-read your post and you have a long shaft and you probably dont want the prop any higher than it already is with the stock prop..

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...u-do-to-your-mac-today-thread.156758/page-100

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
I installed a Garelick mount when I purchased my new 9.9hp 4 stroke. It sets the motor back just enough so I get the full range of turning radius when motoring in shallow water with the rudder up. The other bonus is being able to move the prop lower when the water gets lumpy. It's important to match the mount type (2 stroke or 4 stroke) and the weight of the motor to the correct mount type.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The picture posted above sure looks like a quality piece. I'd double check the transom construction. I have seen some small sailboats with the motor mount area caved in because they weren't designed to support a motor mount or a larger motor. 9.9hp seems like the right sized motor for a 26' sailboat. Sometimes putting a plate (piece of 1/2" marine plywood) under the mount to spread out the forced of motor weight and throttle acceleration is all that is needed.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
The outboard motor bracket you are looking at will tend to twist when turning with the 9.9. You may look at the Garelick Aluminum Bracket for 4-Stroke Auxiliary Outboard Motors or CMC transom jack, CMC motor lift on Craigslist or similar sites. If your significant other is a lightweight, you would really like the electric lift. My Yamaha 8.8 extra long has hydraulic lift and is on 4 stroke bracket. All work great. I have bought 2 CMC electric lift for different boats and the set back and lift were good additions.

Oct 8, 2014
NA NA NA
Great advice. I forgot to ask, does adding the mount necessitate taking the motor off to Trailor? I have my 9.8 bolted to the transom, so I have tailored with it on without problem. Any thoughts?

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
I leave my 9.9 hp 4 cycle on the Garelick mount when trailering. It's too heavy to remove. I run a line from stern cleat against mount and under motor, wrap around other stern cleat and then back again around motor to original cleat. It keeps motor from bouncing around.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
does adding the mount necessitate taking the motor off to Trailor?
It is a good idea to take the motor off or secure it when trailering. Road bumps are a LOT more sudden than waves and that motor is hanging out there at the end of a long lever arm. You could experience stress cracking and fatigue the transom over time.

-Will (Dragonfly)