240 trailer brake upgrade

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Both of the wheel cylinders on the original drum brakes on my '98 240 trailer are leaking. So before I haul out for the winter, I was thinking of replacing them with surge discs. The steel brake lines have surface rust, but not leaking(yet)- I may do them anyway while I'm at it. Was thinking of using rubber flex lines- the trailer already has a section of rubber brake line for the tongue extension. Can I just use a single flex line sized for the full tongue extension to connect the actuator to the T fitting on the axle? I would foldup the excess when not extended. Is the flex line pliable enough to fold over on itself without kinking?
Also any recommendations on disc brake kits, actuators, or advice from those who have done this appreciated!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Doug J
Please put that on owners mod for the 23 and all water ballast for me. Again thank you for your contribution for posting that link. Good stuff sir.

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks guys- those links really helped. I have ordered the parts and will post an update when the installation is done.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@caverun;
Do indeed post and take some photos sir. Are you coming anytime soon this way past my home.. If so you are always to stop and take a break.

Feb 18, 2011
Just reporting back on the trailer brake upgrade. Not a bad job- glad I did it with the boat off the trailer. I replaced all the brake lines with flexible rubber lines for ease of installation. I measured for the long hose with the tongue extended so the extra length could be folded up. Flex lines worked well folding into tight radius. For future reference for other H240 owners here is the part list I used (sourced from Eastern Marine, total cost about $450):
- DeeMaxx 10" disc brake set with integral hubs (plated version, not SS, since I'm in fresh water (3,500 lb. axle)
- Titan 60Z disc brake actuator with solenoid
- DeeMaxx flexible brake hoses: 260", 72", and 16"
Replaced the bearings since the hubs were new. I used the old brass "T" fitting that is welded on the axle as it was in good shape. I also repainted the rusty axle while the brake lines were off. I had to rotate the brass hose fitting on the calipers to clear the trailer frame- I was able to turn them about 45 degrees to point down. Also had to re-wire the trailer lights to a 5-pin connector for the backup solenoid, and on the tow vehicle, patching into the backup light circuit.
Some photos attached. First road test is this weekend when I haul the boat for the winter.

Attachments

Last edited: