240 Recommended keel position when docked?

Sep 20, 2016
Hunter 240 Holland, MI
I realize this is an opinion question, but I am new to the 240 and it's getting close to launch time!
I am in a marina for the summer and I was wondering about leaving the swing keel up or down while the boat is docked? I sail most weekends, but I may only get to the marina mid week a few times per season. This means she is bobbing around at the dock most of the time.
I know the keel is not weighted (ballast weight anyway!) but I don't know about wear and tear on the system to raise and lower it all the time, or to have the keel just hanging around under there.
Do you think it's better to pull up the keel, or leave it down when docked?
Thoughts!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I bring mine up. Not sure if that is the right move but my thinking is that if it is constantly wobbling to and fro and side-to-side... it will wear something out sooner than if raise it and it stays relatively still.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
Interesting question, although it's never occurred to me.

My marina is very exposed, with only floating logs and tires as a breakwater. During a storm, I'm sure I couldn't stand on my dock finger without being thrown off my feet.

My centerboard has been down all season (only 4 months long here) for 15 seasons now. It hasn't fallen off but of course I have no way of knowing if it's wearing faster being down, or if the up/down haul mechanism would wear faster using it every time I go out. Actually, I already lift it maybe once every time I go out, either to anchor in very shallow water or to get an extra .5 to 1 knot while motoring.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If you keep the boat in the water it is best to exercise the centerboard mechanism frequently to avoid marine growth from jamming it in position. With the centerboard down there is always some lateral slap that in time may wear down the joint. I guess the answer is sail frequently and raise the board when at the dock.

May 27, 2004
- - Boston
I don't know for sure, but would leave it down with slight tension on the up haul line to take out the slack. If there is any risk that depth of water could be reduced due to tide or water level in lake falling such that the keel would bottom out, then I would raise it. I would raise it once in a while to make sure everything is working properly and to scrape off any growth before it gets too solid.

Sep 20, 2016
Hunter 240 Holland, MI
Ohhh, good point about water under the keel!
That's not an issue. I am on a lake connected to lake Michigan; that means no tides. There is about 4 feet of water under my fully extended keel when it's at the dock.

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
On Lake Michigan at East Chicago,Keep my keel up at slip to keep keel slap at min. and wear on bushing,but keep rudder down ,tied off to limit movement and to egress boat with tiller out of the way

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
I've kept my 240's keel and rudder fully extended, in fresh water for years. No issues.

As long as there's enough water underneath the boat, you'll be fine.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Keel down all season, with no problems. There is no lateral play in mine. It has always been difficult to raise, so don't want to stress the parts more than necessary.
Rudder up when on the mooring- I started to see some blisters forming in the gel coat when left in the water, so don't want to encourage that, but fortunately none on the hull yet.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
@Crazy Dave Condon suggested I keep the centerboard down while in the slip. Less wear and tear on the centerboard line. I wish I woulda asked him long before I did.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I sail on a lake (for now). I keep mine down almost all the time. No danger of tide and hitting the bottom.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
For my 23.5 I keep the center board up at the dock. Though the board is heavy it is also buoyant. It retracts fully into the well with a resounding thud; something it won't do when out of the water. Therefore any strain on the system is well within the structural capacity. Having this load on it keeps all the components static vs rattling around with each wave and when retracted less of the control line is submerged and getting slimy.
Also, I have forgotten it when the lake level was low and I have snagged the dock bracing cables when trying to back out of the slip, very tough on the board. So I try to keep it up for docking. Sounds like there's no convention, pick your poison.
Dennis

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Where we sail, I learned never to leave the centerboard down. We're on a reservoir and we had the Mac in the "cheap slips" where it was shallow. We had plenty of water when we tied her up and went home, but when we came back the next week, they had let enough water out where the swing keel was caught in the mud. We couldn't go forward to rotate off the board because we hit the dock. Couldn't dive down and pull on it. Tried blowing ballast out but it wasn't enough. Finally had to come around to the slip across from us with the barge and raise her enough by the bow eye to be able to raise the board.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Hmm, could you walk a long ratchet strap down under to hold the keel up while docked? That might take the strain of the uphaul, and support the keel. But I imagine you would have a new set of problems dealing with chafe.

Sep 20, 2016
Hunter 240 Holland, MI
I think I will try a combination approach. Since I sail two or three times on most weekends, I will leave the keel down during the weekends, but I will raise it when I leave Sunday evenings. Seems like a nice compromise.
Thanks for all the input!