23.5 Thru-hull fitting sizes/upgrades

Nov 12, 2017
Hunter 23.5 Harbor Town: Lake Allatoona
Hi! New owner of a 1993 23.5 and I'm going through the boat to make it ready to launch. I was cleaning the sink and noticed that the drain was starting to crack and was brittle. Upon trying to remove the sink drain, it broke completely and the drain hose put a strain on the outer thru-hull fitting which subsequently also showed signs of being brittle and breaking. Upon trying to remove that thru-hull it broke completely. My question is what size fitting is the sink thru-hull? I have it in hand but it is broken completely. I'd like to put in a stainless steel version if that would be best. I'd also feel good about replacing the bilge thru-hull. What size is that before I try to remove it? I'd go with the hole dimension, but I'm not at the boat (at a local marina). What is the factory size (sink and thru-hull) and what upgrades would you make to those fittings? I'm going to replace the sink drain hose as well while I'm at it. The corrugated one looks susceptible to damage.

Thanks!
-BT

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You are going to have to remove it and take the pieces with you to a west marine store. The discharge should be above the water line. Most of us do not know the exact specs and that includes me as I sold most of them as a dealer and my intial designe resulted in that boat.

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
Timely thread. Have the same issue with our 2002 H260. Was working on some project's this weekend and noticed the thru-hull for the bilge pump was "chalky". Further investigation revealed that this nylon 2 part fitting was brittle and needs replacing - would prefer stainless.

Have not done the research but is there no replacement part #? JT

Nov 12, 2017
Thanks for the reply Dave. I had thought the same but wanted to mail order one from somewhere. I’ll probably end up at West Marine at some point with it for sizing but might not go with what they have in store, especially if it is more of the nylon. I’ll post back what I find out.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Check with the forum store. Now owned by a former Hunter employee who use to do retail sales for them and then started working with this site and now owns it. He knows the boat. Call them. They have an experienced staff who can help you. You will find them most helpful and kee p my name for future reference.

Nov 12, 2017
Hi everyone! So, I've finally gotten the correct fittings for the sink drain and here's the list! Yes, they are nylon, but it's kind of the only ones available I could find for a good price. I'll update later once I replace the rest of the thru-hull fittings. These are Amazon links.

Sink drain: Sea-Dog 90 degree http://amzn.to/2zoCVNm
Through-hull: Perko 1-1/8 http://amzn.to/2BWSoqA

IMG_3714.jpeg IMG_3715.jpeg IMG_3716.jpeg

Nov 12, 2017
The sink thru-hull on my boat doesn’t have a seacock. It is above the water-line.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thank God. I wouldn't know a sea-cock from a sea-hen.
Once I sold and delivered a 30 foot Hunter into a small lake with no travel lift. Owner thought by drilling a one inch hole thru the hole he could install a seacock. He called exasperated. Boat 5 hours away. told wife to get a large cork and shove it into hole and then tap with a hammer lightly. I was in the process of selling a boat but told customers I had to pack up and leave as this was an emergency. They understood. Left with gear and equipment to fix. The following week I called the other folks back and they came. They bought a larger boat as they were impressed I left on an emergency call which over rode a new sale

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
I follow many of the YouTube sailing bloggers and was saddened to see a young man lose his boat to an open seacock. I won't mention names here because I really like these kids. Only wish I had started sooner, no telling how many I could have sunk!