2018 Sun Gypsy cruise

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
AM I right... Queen Lizzy is related to the Normandy attackers of 1066. They are responsible, in part, for the present Royal Family? William the Conqueror and his merry men?
The death of Edward the Confessor in 1066 left several men with claims to the English throne. Most significant were William, Duke of Normandy, and Harold Godwinson, who immediately took control of the country.

While Harold was dealing with other challengers, William gathered an army in northern France, along with a fleet to transport it. This was a huge logistical challenge. He had to win the support of his most powerful subjects for his campaign, gather the soldiers in one place, and deal with supplies and sanitation while they waited to go to war. To transport his army, an entire fleet’s worth of ships had to be requisitioned, hired, or built.

Following delays – some strategic, some due to bad weather – William crossed the English Channel, landing on the south coast of England on the 28th of September, 1066. He set up a fortified base at Hastings and sent his army to forage all across the area, ensuring supplies and forcing Harold to face him or leave his subjects vulnerable.
So am I tipping a pint to the Queen of England from Normandy which is one of the 18 regions of France?
I sometimes get so confused...
:biggrin::beer:
Ohhhh... and it is an Irish Guinness:laugh:

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Normandy which is one of the 18 regions of France?
That's the grounds for the Hundred Years War as England claimed much of France but Elizibeth II is of German decent. Changed the family name to Windsor during WW I.

Oct 22, 2014
SO your saying, and mind you I had to do some google searching and reflection of my studies of English history 1963-66 in the Old Country. to regain perspective. The German heritage and taking of the throne by QEII is a result of Queen Anne, (who died 1714) having no Protestant children. The Act of Settlement, an Act of the Parliament of England, passed in 1701 settled the succession to the English and Irish crowns on Protestants only.
A thorny problem because Queen Anne's 50 (or thereabouts) closest suitable relatives were all Catholic, so distinctly non grata. They were passed over, and in the end Georg Ludwig, the Protestant Prince Elector of Hanover, got the job. The royal house changed from Stuart to Brunswick-Lūneburg-Hanover, bringing with it a wealth of connections to the ancient royal houses of Welf and Este.​
There simply not enough beer to track all the inter marrying done by the European royals.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
There simply not enough beer to track all the inter marrying done by the European royals.
I resemble that remark minus the royal bit. But it reminds me of a story I heard from a Swedish friend (yes Norwegians can be friends with the Swedes). Anyway one day at work he and I were talking about our roots and he made the comment that his mother’s family left a small fishing town on the Oregon coast because of senility related to inbreading. At this point the group idiot pipes up and says oh what town is that.... turns out it’s the same small town that his mother left so he says “I was born there”. After the idiot leaves my friend turns to me and says - the idiot proves his mom left for good reasons.

Les

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
The death of Edward the Confessor in 1066 left several men with claims to the English throne. Most significant were William, Duke of Normandy, and Harold Godwinson, who immediately took control of the country.
Some news here. They are all long dead.

New Raritan sanitation hose should arrive later this week from Defender. Really like to get the aft head working again and the boat put back together so as to do some fall cruising. Just love this time of the year when temps dip into, well freezing, and cozy inside the boat in some empty anchorage. Looking ahead, Christmas time a great season to saunter over to Friday Harbor for a cheese burger deluxe at Haleys. Might even have some snow on the docks as in previous years. One can only hope.

Must post our 2005 cruising video on You Tube. Watched it again Saturday with my fellow boating buddies. Lots of fond memories. Colin's red hair no longer. Bob's dark hair no longer. John's blonde hair no longer. Mine, well er lighter. John as you might know is in a memory care facility in Sedro Woolley with his boat on the market. When I go to visit, we watch our DVD cruises from years past. Always worth a hoot or two. I suppose I'll be there with him shortly. Until then, must go sailing.

Oct 22, 2014
Terry. I accept that they are all dead.. really dead... like ashes to ashes...
If you do not know where you came from how do you know your going in the right direction.

I am trying to close some of my work down so I can split this ranch style living and join you on the Pacific NW Waters. We still have a anchorage to enjoy before the snows.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Normandy attackers of 1066.
Just to point out, since this is a sailing forum, the Normans had to sail to England to conquer England. They also had the advantage of new fangled stirrups to hold their seats better in battle. The Saxons did not.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
All ready? You are a year in the Canadian country and you’ve already forgot how to spell America? Sad.sad.sad...
You know, all of us over here on this side of the Atlantic, Canadians to Peruvians are Americans since this continent is divided into North, Central and South America. The United States just happens to be the only country that decided to include America in its name.

-Will (Dragonfly)