2018 Sun Gypsy cruise

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Go up Useless inlet. Stick to port and have a bow watch. (Kelp) After about a mile. Go stbd 30* and head for Fatty basin. Go through the Isthmus (with a bow watch-some uncharted rocks) and anchor in the little southern bay outside of Fatty Basin. The north side might be full of oyster farming. Then again, who knows what has happened in the last 15 yrs...you can take a dinghy into Fatty Basin..Bears etc..Make friends with the farmers. The best way is to let them know that absolutely nothing (except a little grey water) escapes your boat. They will be your best friend. That was my experience yrs ago..

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
In the 5 times we've been out here we have never been to that part of the sound. Will have to give it a try. Something new to explore. Thanks Mark.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Michael this has been a remarkable trip for you. Will need to stop at Saturna Island and see if I can debrief your trip. Ambition has me wanting to follow.

Jan 5, 2017
Always welcome John. We'll be home at the end of Sept. for about 7 months. Bev is already looking at the central coast again for next year!

Jan 5, 2017
Another thank-you to Mark Maulden. That's a couple of great places you've given us. I can see why not to many people are game to try this one with keel boats though.
useless.jpg
Aquaculture is still the main game in Fatty Basin but it looks like logging is making an impression too. Great fun exploring by kayak.
Fatty Basin- aquaculture and logging.jpg The back door to Fatty Basin. Kayak or small dinghy only.The other exit from Fatty-.jpg

Jan 5, 2017
Marks Basin shows little sign of human activity. A snug spot to get away from it all.Sun Gypsy in Marks.jpg
This one looks like a great place for an Eagles nest or maybe a tree-fort for us kids.room for an Eagles nest.jpg

Jan 5, 2017
In Ucluelet. We were getting low on water and fresh veggies but we were out of BEER so it was a bit of an emergency. While here I thought to have a pesky little fuel leak looked at. Currently sitting at the dock of "Erik Larsen Diesel" waiting for parts and for the rain to stop. The rain will be good for the forest fire situation but it can make the boat pretty small if you don't like getting wet.

Oct 22, 2014
Thanks for the update. Just checked out where on the map is Ucluetlet. You still have a fair distance to go before reaching Victoria. Afraid the forecast looks like more rain over the weekend.

Jan 5, 2017
more rain over the weekend.
Still about a 100 miles from home John. We have company meeting us out here 17 to 21 Sept so we hope it clears up for them. In the meantime the rain is doing a world of good for the forests and we've found a couple of new beers we like from a local brewing company so it's not all bad, for sure.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Must interject here and say how much we enjoy your reports. We're back home from a much less distance cruise this season, but had a great time gunk holing around Desolation Sound, Gulf Island and San Juan Islands for many weeks.

One of my and our oldest son's all time favorite brews that we were exposed to in the North Saanich Yacht Club House was: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2385/5989/ Unable to find it in the States, but our first choice when around the BC precincts.

A close second is here: https://www.bbaybrewery.com/scotch

Jan 5, 2017
ucluelet waterfront 2.jpg Ucluelet waterfront from Erik Larsen Diesel dock. We've been here a few days now. Parts should be here this afternoon. On the up-side we've found a couple of pretty good brews and some great places to eat. Every cloud .....etc etc.ucluelet small craft harbour.jpg Ucluelet Small Craft Harbour where we normally stay when everything is working well!

Jan 5, 2017
We are back to Ucluelet Small Craft Harbour waiting to pick up our company on Monday. New parts failed to stop our fuel leak and it looks like the high pressure ( injector ) pump needs a re-build. We will spend this week in the Broken Group, do a little fishing, then bring the boat back to be fixed. I've rented a car for the next week so we will do some exploring by land, see some of those beaches we've only seen from sea.
The Perkins 4-108 has 5,900 hrs. on it. I guess it's got to wear out sometime.

Oct 22, 2014
That engine is still a baby... Sure some parts like a pump may wear out, but the engine? Lets hope not.

Jan 5, 2017
Agreed. Should be good for 10,000 hrs before a re-build but other parts maybe not. Did the starter motor last year, injector pump this year. It's all in an effort to improve the West Coast economy. Spend More Money!

Oct 22, 2014
I replaced the starter motor this year. May that be the end for a while.