2017/2018 Volvo Ocean Race

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... Boat is already en route on a cargo ship to finish repairs in Auckland. Didn't look like it would buff out too easily...
What, they didn't have any duct tape where they came from???

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Watching the in-harbour race in China was interesting (particularly when Dongfeng caught their keel on the starting marker!), but I’m just having a hard time relating to boats with such meaningless (to me anyway) corporate names and mixed nationality crews. Maybe I’m just being chauvinistic but I can’t see many Americans tuning into this.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Watching the in-harbour race in China was interesting (particularly when Dongfeng caught their keel on the starting marker!), but I’m just having a hard time relating to boats with such meaningless (to me anyway) corporate names and mixed nationality crews. Maybe I’m just being chauvinistic but I can’t see many Americans tuning into this.
Well as an auto racing fan as well, I really can't relate to all the sponsors on the cars, especially in Formula 1 but, the racing itself is the draw for me.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
They've let Exhibit A go. Does that mean the accident investigation is over? Will we hear soon?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
They've let Exhibit A go. Does that mean the accident investigation is over? Will we hear soon?
I am sure there is still more to the investigation. Interviews and the like with both crew and any possible witnesses. Data analysis as well. My thinking is that it will be a bit for the final report.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
And .... it's over. Dong Feng has won the VOR 2017-2018. I don't think anyone picked them. Mapfre is second and Team Brunel third. The last leg, #11, was a screwy scamp around the North Sea that had be scratching my head trying to follow it. There were shipping exclusion zones, and out of way marks that made tactics a crap shoot. Dong Feng made a bold move going inshore for the last part and it paid. Good show.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Flyers don't pay that often but following the leader doesn't either. At least if you split you're getting inside the leader's head and maybe they'll make a mistake. In Dong Feng's case they were in the front group and spilt the fleet. The order Dong Feng, Mapfre and TBrunel finished in would be the final standings. The split was based on a wind prediction program. They was no way to consolidate due to the exclusion zone. A Ballsy move for all the marbles. You have to give Caudrelier credit for that. I don't know who makes the call but the skipper went with it. When I looked earlier this am I thought they had blown it. I'm still not sure how they got there first. I have to say that to race around the world and have such a close finish is a good outcome for the race. It was exciting.