2007 Hunter 33 Spinnaker Setup

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 33 33 Halifax
I have a 2007 Hunter 33. Last summer was my first year with the boat so I never got around to flying the Asym Spin. It is still new in the bag so looking for information on how to set it up.
What size (Make and model) blocks are you using for the sheets. If I understand correctly I use the rings near the bottom of the Arch. I do have a spin halyard so good there.
How are you rigging up the Tack line. Will have to check to see if I have a set of set of Parrel Beads if that is the method you are using. Previous owner ordered it and never used it so will unpack it when I pull the sails out of storage and do an inventory.
Any pictures of the setup would be much appreciated.
Thanks,

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
The 33 model replaced my 340 model, so they're close in size and rig. Except the 33 in the dock next to me has the forestay attached lower on the mast, so the spinnaker is probably smaller. I started using my asymmetrical with the tack on a block shackled to the anchor roller and had no problems. But, now I use a bowsprit that puts the tack about three foot in front of the anchor roller and the performance difference is noticeable getting the spinnaker out away from the mainsail just a few more feet. I used Harken 40mm blocks on the sprit and at the rings to turn the sheets to the winches. I used New England Flight Line for sheets, because it's tough to keep them out of the bay and it doesn't absorb water.The Seldon bowsprit looks like a nice piece of hardware, but I couldn't afford it, so I made my own. Hope this helps you.

20170225_150129.jpg

IMG_9376 (2).JPG

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
There is an eye on the anchor roller for the tack block. Tack line runs back to the forward cleats on deck. Yes, the eyes at the base of the arch are for the sheet blocks and then forward to the winch. Can't remember block size, ( I think 40mm ) but mine came with all the rigging for the asym, ( blocks, sheets, halyard ) but not the sail. :(

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 33 33 Halifax
Thanks Scott...this helps a lot. If I place the block on the anchor roller do I need to store the anchor to keep it out of the way?

Interesting design for the bowsprit. if you have some additional pictures of how you secure it I would be interested in seeing them. What did you use to make it.

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 33 33 Halifax
That would be nice but next toy will be a Radar. Will have to put the roller furler spin setup on hold.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Remember if you use an asymmetric sprit to push the tack forward, if will have to be reported and will negatively effect your PHRF rating.

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 33 33 Halifax
I race with a crew on a J120. The Hunter 33 is purely for relaxing and coastal cursing.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Interesting design for the bowsprit. if you have some additional pictures of how you secure it I would be interested in seeing them. What did you use to make it.
The line is knotted and passes through a stainless fender washer before it comes out of the 3" aluminum aircraft tubing I got from "speedymetals.com" for about $60 and under the anchor roller.
20170326_113709.jpg

I'm sure there's a dozen things wrong with my set up, including not having the anchor on the roller ready to go, but so far it works for me.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Remember if you use an asymmetric sprit to push the tack forward, if will have to be reported and will negatively effect your PHRF rating.
Jackdaw, the local PHRF committee told me, as long as it was under 3', a bowsprit was no penalty, but several seconds penalty every inch over 3'.

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 33 33 Halifax
Pretty slick design. You should patent it and sell them online. Looks like your neighbor has a 33 as well.
Thanks for the information and pictures.

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I purchased my 88 28.5 last year and it had an asymmetrical spinnaker with the boat, but other than the halyard, there was no setup for it. I did a home brew bowsprit using 2 pieces of aluminum angle stock, just to be able to try it out. It seems to work OK, though the spinnaker luff seems a bit long for the boat. Boat is on a lake in Minnesota, so it won't see a lot of heavy weather.

I may need to get a better bowsprit (looks a bit tacky), but for now, it's working. I just have to heal up from the new mainsail that I have on order.

Bowsprit_1280x768.jpg
Bowsprit_1280x768.jpg Mike

Nov 8, 2010
Jackdaw, the local PHRF committee told me, as long as it was under 3', a bowsprit was no penalty, but several seconds penalty every inch over 3'.
Wow that seemed wild, most PPHRF boards will allow you to tack a very short distance in front of your forestay, but ding you after that.

I took a quick look at the GBPHRF rules; you using that? It states that if your have a TPS (distance from mast to tack point) of greater than 1.1xJ it starts to cost you time. For your boat that would be 14 inches in front of the forestay.

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 33 33 Halifax
Bill...I looks like the knotted line that goes under your anchor roller is what keeps the bowsprit from being pulled up. Is it secure in any other way or is that it? I think I will look at making one of these for a winter project. Too many things on list to start it this year.
It sounds like no issues wrt attaching the tack to the anchor roller wrt strain from the spinnaker pulling on it.

I pulled my asym spin out of storage. There is a plastic cuff that I assume replaces the Parrel Beads in the older setup. The cuff has a Snap Shackle on one side and a clip on the other. Loking for anyone who has used this setup to outline how you set up the Tack line on the bow using the plastic cuff.

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 33 33 Halifax
Just got the inf I needed from UK Sails. The plastic cuff is called a Tacker (see attached). Has anyone used this setup.
My first thought is will it damage the roller furled jib or UV protection over time?

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I'm sure you're right Jackdaw. I filled out the application in 2015 and haven't renewed since then because I've just been racing in the club class with a club assigned rating and don't need a PHRF certificate. I'll double check if I can still find the old certificate, but I thought it asked on the application if the sprit was longer than 36" or I was told by the committee person I was emailing for help filling out the app, told me there's was no penalty for 36" or less.

Nov 8, 2010
I'm sure you're right Jackdaw. I filled out the application in 2015 and haven't renewed since then because I've just been racing in the club class with a club assigned rating and don't need a PHRF certificate. I'll double check if I can still find the old certificate, but I thought it asked on the application if the sprit was longer than 36" or I was told by the committee person I was emailing for help filling out the app, told me there's was no penalty for 36" or less.
That could very well be. Clubs often 'do their own thing' when it comes to rating cruising classes, with a view to get as many boats out on the water as possible! ;^)

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Bill...I looks like the knotted line that goes under your anchor roller is what keeps the bowsprit from being pulled up. Is it secure in any other way or is that it? I think I will look at making one of these for a winter project. Too many things on list to start it this year.
It sounds like no issues wrt attaching the tack to the anchor roller wrt strain from the spinnaker pulling on it.

I pulled my asym spin out of storage. There is a plastic cuff that I assume replaces the Parrel Beads in the older setup. The cuff has a Snap Shackle on one side and a clip on the other. Loking for anyone who has used this setup to outline how you set up the Tack line on the bow using the plastic cuff.
Caspurr, to me, it looks like the ATN Tacker would bend the roller furling extrusions. But if it did, they wouldn't sell very many, would they.
I am not too worried about the strain on the stem fitting/anchor roller on my bowsprit. I figure there's more force forwards and sideways than up. I have considered installing a bobstay, but I have seen no flexing, gelcoat cracks, or new caulking separation on the fitting. And I hope the plastic cleats, tapped threads in the aluminum, or the cheap snap shackle on the tack line will break before any problems occur on the stem fitting.
IMG_4413.JPG

The line comes out of the bottom of the aluminum tube just forward of the roller and goes to the turning block on the aft end of the sprit and secured to the cleat mounted on the sprit. The turn gives a little mechanical advantage tightening up the line and locking the sprit down tight on the roller. I use the other cleat on the sprit to secure the spinnaker tack line. The 1/2" stainless pipe that runs through the aft end of the sprit and behind the bow mooring cleats takes all the forward force, so the sail tack is "pulling" the boat from those cleats, theoretically. You can barely see the rubber foot under the sprit that helps hold the aft end off the deck when there is any up force on the sail tack pushing the aft end of the sprit down.
There are no holes added in the deck, one line to uncleat to remove it, and really improves performance getting the spinnaker just a little further away from the mainsail. You just can't have the anchor on the roller or open the anchor locker while you're using it. I've got less than $100 in it, with the Selden or similar sprit well north of $750 probably. And I don't even want to know how much a top down furler would set me back. I'm a working man, I can't afford all those high dollar, new fangled boat thingies like all you rich yacht owners on this forum.