2003 Hunter 356 New Battery Charger

Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
Want to change the ProMariner ProTech 1230 with a new ProNauticP 1240P. Need a bit of more umph and a better sensing unit; it seems the old unit is not working well. Running two banks of Group 31 Trojan AGM's. A 300 amp house bank 3 batteries and an engine start group 100 amp and one battery. ProMariner support says the new charger can handle 3 banks and it doesn't matter if they are not the same amperage. They said that about the old one but it didn't do it very well but this one is supposedly better sensing. The new one is purchased. Any comments are appreciated. Particularly as far as installation. The old charger had a landscape format and the new one is portrait so it is a tighter fit. The circuit breakers on the charge circuit have to go to 50 amps but I'm wondering how close the charger can be to the overhead seat or if it should be mounted sideways to give more room. This 1240P is the same as the same typeIMG_1560.jpg Sterling brand charger.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
just make sure you don't block the fan or the airflow and you should be OK

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
I always worry about air flow around my charger also but if kept clear you should be OK.
Can you post a pic of the new install when complete.

Ivan

May 17, 2004
Hunter 356 Solomons MD
I changed my charger to a 1260P and mounted it with 3 inches of space between its top and the nav table above it. The charger works like a champ and stays cool enough so that the internal fan rarely comes on. You should not have any problems.

Dec 22, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I installed the 1240P in the same place. Photo below. The two button circuit breakers were changed to 50 amp ones from Carling, but was able to use all the same #8 wiring by rerouting the those wires in the Hunter harness. 1250P was an alternative but it seems the recommendation is 10% to 20% of the battery capacities. The boat sits at the dock most of the time so a rapid charge is not so important. The 1250P and 1260P are about 2 inches taller. Good thought to mount it under the chart table.

The main reason for changing the charger was to get a little more umph and some new technology. The battery banks are total 400 amp hours; one bank is 3 x 100 Trojan AGM's and the other is a single 100 Trojan AGM. The old charger wasn't so good in sensing the state of charge of the disparate banks. If I add any more batteries will probably go to two chargers. Make this one bank at 400 amp hours and put in a smaller battery for the engine.

Dec 22, 2012
Whoops here's the photo. The batten is to keep things from sliding into the charger. Later will add a small divider.

Attachments

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Our 36 came with the same charger you had, and in the same location, but they cut the floor out below the charger so it could be mounted vertically. That made fitting a 1250P in the same location as your 1240P easy. My experience is like Ivan's. For two years now fans hardly ever run. I placed a few 1/4" spacers on top of the seat walls so the lid has a small air gap to let heat out. Probably not necessary though. Admiral has that settee filed with plastic boxes of stuff, so very little air space and boxes end up against the charger. I like your divider idea.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have my 2000 watt inverter / charger same location but bolted to the floor and that way it gets air from both grills for air and I do hear the fan running often.
Nick

Dec 22, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. Charger is doing well and fan doesn't run very much if at all.