2001 Catalina 310 Outhaul replacement

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 77 Atlantic Highlands NJ NJ
I am making changes to my boat and I am trying to avoid serious issues by changing out older lines and other rigging before they fail.

I noticed the outhaul, particularly the wire portion could use replacing. Looking at the diagram of the boom in the Catalina manual, this seems like a very complicated chore as it is in more then one piece. Has anyone replaced the outhaul, and if so, how did you do it?
Thanks
Jack Flannery

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Ah, I want to know too! This line is short and not adjustable in the cockpit on my C310 and although the exposed wire looks ok now I'd like to consider this one as a near term improvement in anticipation of getting a proper loose foot main down the road.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 77 Atlantic Highlands NJ NJ
I'm surprised more folks haven't commented yet.
Standby

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Probably the simplest fix is the system offered by Catalina Direct. I know @LeslieTroyer installed that system on his C36.
Probably better to replace the entire thing than just the worn cables as all components probably have equal wear.

Some Catalina owners chose to go with an external outhaul to eliminate having a complicated system inside the boom where it is hard to inspect.
Here is a link to what @Meriachee did for the outhaul on his C270, which I plan to copy at some point.
https://meriachee.wordpress.com/2018/05/21/purchase-this/

I tried building my own internal system and it never worked. I ended up going with an ugly but usable external outhaul with the line cleated at mid boom. If I could figure out a better attachment point at the boom end it would work well.
Clew Strap & Out Haul.jpeg