2000 Hunter 290 Outhaul setup

May 25, 2018
Hunter 290 Green Bay, WI
I just purchased my first sailboat, a Hunter 290, and while rigging it to take it out for the first time I noticed the outhaul seems to be setup in an odd way. The line for the outhaul comes out the aft end of the boom. It seems to work but doesn't seem logical especially once the bimini is up.

Can anyone show me a picture, drawing or manual that shows how it should be rigged? There is a cable and blocks in the boom and it would seem the line should run out the front of the boom for easier access.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

May 25, 2018
Hunter 290 Green Bay, WI
Look under "Boat Info" on this site to find the 290 Owner's manual.

Good Luck
Thanks Panera. I have the owners manual and looked through it. It shows a basic breakdown of rigging the boom but just that the line goes to toward the mast. Not how its supposed to be routed.

Thanks

Matt

Apr 16, 2013
Hunter 290 Annapolis
I have a 2000 Hunter 290. Unfortunately, I'm 4 hours away from it. I'll take a picture next time I'm down there. Which I hope is soon...

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Hi Matt, Welcome to the forum. My boom is an older Kenyon and I'm not sure if any of these images will help you, but just maybe they will. The out haul exiting from the aft end of the boom has a shackle which attaches to the clew of the mainsail. The wire rope travels inside the boom to an internal set of blocks which I believe offers a 2:1 purchase on the out haul line (rope) which exits at the goose-neck and cinches up to a cam cleat on the boom, near the mast.

Let us know how things turn out.

Generic Out Haul Drawing.jpg Aft end of boom.jpg Temporary boom support.jpg Out Haul Setup.jpg