2000 hunter 212 deck stress cracks

Aug 15, 2016
Hunter H26 Long point
So one of these boats came up for sale nearby and I couldn't pass it up.. looking for a smaller trailer sailboat to replace the current 96 h26 that it will replacing. soon to be for sale after I take it up to Lake Ontario and do some exploring...
However my question comes from a few of the stress cracks on the top deck..
after doing some research and they say that this boat is the unsinkable boat. made of polycarbonate plastic stuff. can this be plastic welded or what is the best way to fix some of these cracks on the top...

But on a side note for being a boat without a water ballast and a swing Keel this boat can handle the wind and weather Helm beautifully.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
So called "thermoformed" kayaks such as Delta and Eddyline are made of sheet ABS plastic that is heated and vacuum formed to a male mold. If memory serves, the Hunter 212 was made of a similar ABS skin, and it did have issues with cracking. Eddyline recommends repairs using Devcon Plastic Welder glue and fiberglass. https://eddyline.com/customer-service/care-repair/thermo-form-repair-carbonlite-repair This may work on a cracked Hunter.

Other boats may be made from rotomolded polyethylene. I think boats like the Escape and Pico, and the Hobie kayak-type boats for sure are rotomolded polyethylene. This manufacturing process uses a large aluminum mold that is heated, and pellets of polyethylene are poured in and the mold is rotated around so that the pellets melt and coat the interior of the mold. Polyethylene is notoriously waxy and slippery, and not a whole lot sticks to it. It can be welded using an air heat welding gun that heats up rods of polye material (looks like shoestring licorice.) Lexcel sealant is the preferred rubber-like polymer caulk used by kayak manufacturers to glue closed cell foam bulkheads and floatation into rotomolded kayaks.