2000 340 - Loose Accessory Plug @ Breaker Panel

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
On my 2000 Hunter 340 today at the Breaker Panel I plugged in my cell phone charger cord. I had the main panel breaker on and the water pressure breaker on.
Both lights blinked and then went off.
I unplugged the charger cord and found the accessory plug was loose. I could push on it and the breaker lights would go on and off.
I shut off the breakers and tightened the accessory plug about a 1/8 turn. I turned the breakers back on and all work as normal. All the other breakers worked as well and all lights, gauges, propane switch etc. work fine.
But the Accessory Plug will not work.
I opened the panel, I didn't find any signs of burnt, frayed or loose wires. Everything looks good and all wire screws are tight. Nothing is touching behind the panel in the plug area also.
I'm thinking it's a faulty plug and needs to be replaced, but why did it shut the other breakers down? I tried to get a reading on my multimeter from the plug but it shows no power to the plug.
Any ideas or suggestions regarding this situation are welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
There is no such thing as a good quality 'cigarette lighter' plug. All suffer from weak mechanical crimps and spring loaded connections. That's why God invented proper Powerpole connectors, some of which are designed to fill the round hole.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Photos and update for the Accessory Plug.
Today I opened the Circuit Breaker Panel and saw that the chrome locking collar that tightens the plug down was loose and simply leaning on the plug. That explains why, when touched, the panel lights flickered on and off.
It also blew the fuse just before the plug (Yellow Fuse Holder)... Thanks "JustSomeGuy" !
Hope the photos help others if it should happen to anyone else.

Attachments