2/3rds of us will be "under the dome" this weekend. Heat Warning: What's your plan?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
During one such heat wave in the NE I sailed 4 times in 2 days between Greenport and Block Island. Same principle as TomY in Maine - cool water keeps you comfortable. At one point I had goose pimples. Maybe it was from the pea soup fog.
Here in Fl. today we might not reach 90. It's humid 'though. You can sit on a beach, in the shade, for a few hours and not be uncomfortable especially if you swim and if there is a breeze. You would not want to be in a drifter sailboat race.
I have a theory that the really uncomfortable air mass that is affecting the NE this week has it origin from the Gulf of Mexico where dry hot air off the desert picks up humidity in the Gulf and flows Northward into the Mid West and then up the Ohio Valley to the NE curtesy of the Bermuda high. South Florida doesn't really get that air mass and can have lower temps than the NE in Summer heat waves. In South Florida the Bermuda high is pumping air from the East/Northeast which is not as hot. It is very humid 'though.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
It has rained here, every single day, except two, for the last month. We've had sails up exactly three times this year.
Wanna trade?

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
That is very sad, Meriachee. My sense is there will be no wind on the sound tomorrow as is often the case with high temps and high humidity. I need more than 5 kts to be happy as I sweat easy. I just may be home whipping up a batch of my 40+ year evolved Sangria recipe. I could at least provide you with that.....

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Here in Fl. today we might not reach 90. It's humid 'though. You can sit on a beach, in the shade, for a few hours and not be uncomfortable especially if you swim and if there is a breeze.
Welcome to the South!!!

But no on your theory
I have a theory that the really uncomfortable air mass that is affecting the NE
5dayfcst_wbg_conus.gif
Blame Canada.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Source for that stat? I say B.S. As someone else mentioned, no on ever died of a heart attack shoveling heat. :)
True! I took that from an article that references NOAA data.

I believe this is NOAA data: "Last year, 108 people died from extreme heat, compared to just 30 who died from cold, according to statistics on weather-related fatalities released by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration."

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
True! I took that from an article that references NOAA data.

I believe this is NOAA data: "Last year, 108 people died from extreme heat, compared to just 30 who died from cold, according to statistics on weather-related fatalities released by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration."
I would trust NOAA only as far as I could throw them. They are a highly politicized organization, who have been caught many times fudging and changing data to suit their preferred narrative.

I'd like to see the methodology for how they determine who died for what reason. For example, many of those old folk who die in heat waves may have died anyway. Correlation is not causality.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Correct. Anyway I think they are talking about exposure to cold, not shoveling snow etc. In general these kinds of data are virtually always unreliable, unstable and improperly summarized. Sort of like the quality of the "Do you beat your wife" survey results.

Feb 5, 2009
Gloucester 20 Kanawha River, Winfield, WV
I don't know if heat kills more of us than cold (sounds fishy to me) but I'm intrigued by the boom tent in the OP.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Jackdaw, I had to blow up the image to verify that the gal in the pic was wearing clothes, 'cause it would make sense if she wasn't!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Ha. Well, you neighbours blame us for the snow, the cold, the stupid geese, the "snowbird" drivers, let's see what else, oh, now, the heat? Really? Maybe we'll get political and put an embargo on beer and you'll have to drink that "training beer" stuff. ha ha... Enjoy the warmth folks. It'll be covered in white soon enough.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
If there's ever an Olympic sport for "Complaining About the Weather", Sailors would certainly medal, only behind Farmers and Golfers. It's too hot; It's too cold; the bay is under a foot of ice; the entire plains are on fire -- cry me a river. Adjust your sails and get on with life. If you're hiding inside, it'll pass you by.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You just have to be hardy!

I drove this to work and back today...97 degrees and high humidity...

IMG_1131.JPG

And I was pretty sweaty when I got home...but she is a blast to drive.

Will try to get out on the lake tomorrow afternoon.

Greg

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
OK, I'm originally from NE. Been here in Fl. for almost fifty years. You guys are going to be in it for what...four or five days at the most? C'mon now, how about four to five months. And then, throw in 80% humidity for good measure. Jeez, what a bunch of cry-babies. :)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If there's ever an Olympic sport for "Complaining About the Weather", Sailors would certainly medal, only behind Farmers and Golfers. It's too hot; It's too cold; the bay is under a foot of ice; the entire plains are on fire -- cry me a river. Adjust your sails and get on with life. If you're hiding inside, it'll pass you by.
Oh I don't know about that. The only thing I (and I think a lot of sailors) complain about is total lack of wind. Every thing else is fair enough.

When Jodi and I first met, she was amused by the fact that when she would ask me what the weather was going to be the next day; I'd repeat the wind forecast. She's ask about Sun? Rain? Temp? I'd have to say 'No idea, I didn't care to look'. Wind.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Oh I don't know about that. The only thing I (and I think a lot of sailors) complain about is total lack of wind. Every thing else is fair enough.

When Jodi and I first met, she was amused by the fact that when she would ask me what the weather was going to be the next day; I'd repeat the wind forecast. She's ask about Sun? Rain? Temp? I'd have to say 'No idea, I didn't care to look'. Wind.
Wind? What's that? We could use some around here besides with the occasional T-storm. I'm thinking I need to just go out and motor around a bit just to help clean some barnacles off.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Might be a good weekend to try out the spinnaker!

ANZ235-200830- Rhode Island Sound-
333 PM EDT Fri Jul 19 2019

TONIGHT
SW winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt. Seas 3 to 4 ft. Patchy fog. Vsby 1 to 3 NM this evening. SAT W winds 5 to 10 kt, becoming SW 10 to 15 kt in the afternoon. Seas 2 to 4 ft. Patchy fog.
SAT NIGHT
SW winds 10 to 15 kt, diminishing to 5 to 10 kt after midnight. Seas around 3 ft.
SUN
SW winds 5 to 10 kt, increasing to 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt in the afternoon. Seas 2 to 3 ft.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
In western Arizona on the Colorado river right now picking up my old Mac 26S to trailer to Long beach (two nights at an end slip at Alamitos), then Two Harbors Monday morning with a trailer sailor group.

103F right now which is not all that terrible because of 10 percent humidity (dewpoint 25F). We were here last year at the same time and had a string of days in the 117F range. I have seen 124F this time of year here.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
On mooring 19 at Cuttyhunk. Chilly breeze off the 72 degree Atlantic. It was so chilly cooking dinner we had to close the saloon hatch.....