1995 Catalina 30 MkIII

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
Randy, looks like a nice boat with a lot of good gear on it. The problems that you list, as others have stated, can be fixed. A consideration is how much money it's going to cost (as you pointed out). Look at other Catalina 30 MKIIs to get a fair price for a boat that is in better shape, then add in the cost of the repairs to this boat. If you are paying too much at your offer price, ask for the price to be reduced, or the repairs to be made, or a combination of these two. There are lots of boats for sale out there, so don't be afraid to walk away and wait for a better one. Another point is to get a mechanic to look at the engine. Surveyors often will look at the engine, but not with the same attention. Engines can be expensive. This may be the right boat for you (I love Catalina 30s) but now is the time to be thorough. Best of luck to ya.

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
If you are worried about the cost of repairs for what looks to be a boat in average condition, you probably should not own a boat that you want to keep in good or better condition because it will cost you money especially if it is sailed in salt water.

A boat is not an investment it is a state of mind.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
it's not a pipe dream. top quality boats are out there, but be prepared to recognize one when you see it, and hand over a deposit, pending survey, on the spot. as i was closing on my boat the broker got a call offering two thou more than is was paying but the caller was literally minutes late. by the way, in all the boats i looked at, including the dogs, i never encountered a 'dirty engine room.' the engine, after all, is in the cabin.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
we're not a tough crowd, and am trying to get you a nice catalina 30, but we are not looking at the boat with you and can only go by your words. i suggest you look around at catalina 30's NOT for sale and ask if you can come aboard to see what boats in sailing conditiion look like inside and out. my guess is most owners would be quite willing to help you out. most of us love our boats.

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
Did you ever give us the price of the boat :confused:

I'd get a marine mechanic to look at the engine and give a quote for the work that needs to be done. As you describe it, the boats needs love.

If the sails are good, price out the standing and running rigging and you are in business along with some elbow grease.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Oh, while I'm here, another item needing replacing is the exhaust/water mixing elbow. Leaks were noticed here. The surveyor did say replacing these is expected. Again, having no experience in engine work on a sailboat, what is involved with this job? Access looks challenging.

RC
Access on most all boats is challenging.

What your talking/asking about here is called an exhaust riser.

One very good source for C30 parts is Catalina Direct. Here's their exhaust engine section: http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/category/476/exhaust-system.cfm

The exhaust riser is basically a simple pipe. It takes the exhaust gases from the manifold of the engine and the water from the HX mixes into it before it goes into the muffler and out the back of the boat.

You can find these parts on the photograph I posted earlier on page one of this topic.

Catalina Direct is not the only source for parts, and our Catalina 34 website has tons of information on these engines with sources for less expensive and great quality parts.

Assistance is out there for you, but like mortyd said, we ain't there with you.

It's YOUR call,all we can do is tell you, again, that what may seem overwhelming to you now is NOT THAT HARD eventually. You do your homework, get the tools and fix stuff. Unless the engine needs to be rebuilt, then it gets really troublesome.

But even then, our skippers have solutions, like this one:

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Rebuilding_the_M25-XP

To give you an idea of the breadth of info we have available for you, look here:

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Diesel_Engine

Good luck. Let us know what's next for you.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
waiting for the super bowl. know what, maybe you can find a C30 owner to look at boats with you, or even a mechanic or surveyor familiar with the boat. might cost couple of bucks or some beer but save you hundreds of thousands.

Feb 26, 2004
1. There are a few regulatory items that need compliance, but most are easily corrected. One thing he mentioned is that the engine 'compartment' is supposed to have either a fire extinguishing system, or a fire port for a portable extinguisher.

2.. I'd like to see what kind of alternator bracket is on the engine. Read about that here last night, and that the stock mount is bad juju...not if, but when, it will fail.
1. Not as far as I know. Another way to say utter hogwash.

2. It's a $150 (overpriced) item and maybe an hours worth of your time if the studs are long enough. Maine Sail and I have both written this up, his in more detail with more pictures.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
really don't understand the problem with the emergencey tiller access, but it may be structurally serous. i have never heard of a catalina30 with any kind of fire extinguishing system in the engine compartment.

Feb 26, 2004
Morty, it loooks like there's a circular panel that you should be able to open so that the emergency tiller can be installed. The surveyor could not get that open.

This circular panel is mounted in a panel that is about 2 1/2 ft long, about a foot wide at the aft end, tapering to six or eight inches wide at the forward end at the base of the steering pedestal. This panel has several retaining screws along its edges. The circular tiller access panel is mounted on this elongated trapezoidal panel.
If you can't get the "door" out of the "frame", then you remove the frame with the door in it. Might be access down below, 'cuz they hadda install it somehow, so if it's bolted on there are nuts below. If it's simply screwed in, then guess what? :dance:

But let's not lose sight of the big picture here, Sluggo. BIG picture: the engine.

Feb 26, 2004
Stu,

For #1, here's the quote from the survey:

"Provide either an automatic fire extinguishing system in the
engine compartment or a fire port that would allow the use of a
portable fire extinguisher in the event of an engine room fire,
per ABYC 4-4 5.2, 4.5.2.1, 4.5.2.2 recommendations."

(Yeah, I know, there's no engine room...just quoting the survey here).
Dumbass surveyor gonna cost you a few unnecessary $$s now that he put it in writing. Some of these guys oughta be required to send you a draft before they publish a final survey.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/marine-east--fire-port--3734464

Feb 26, 2004
Good news on the engine. Rustoleum High Heat Ultra Bronze is the color, Home Depot the source. ACE Hardware will be come your #1 boating store. :)

Runs good sounds REAL good! SMILE.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
is this boat really named scheveningen? it's the large beach resort in the hague in holland. i lived in amsterdam for a while. my engine was always hard starting until one day i sat down with a heineken and the owners's manual which said 40 to 60 seconds glow plug before starting. now it starts like a charm.

Feb 26, 2004
Good point morty. And if an aftermarket glow plug solenoid is installed one can cut that down to 12-15 seconds. :)

Feb 26, 2004
Here's a survey finding that is listed as a priority fix:

A.1 (PAGE 5) SWIM LADDER:
The swim ladder was not deployable by a person in the water as
configured at survey.
Attach a lanyard or other device so that a person in the water
would be able to deploy the swim ladder, unaided.

I know this 'requirement' came from people jumping in the water, but forgetting to lower the ladder first, then being unable to get back onboard.

On the railing on each side of the ladder is a 'U" bracket that flips over to secure the ladder. Some type of apparatus needs to be rigged to open these, and then flip the ladder down, all operated from a person in the water? Seriously? With a scoop transom? YGBSM.

I'm wondering if the insurance company will now require this once they see this survey.
Simple. Remove the bracket and rig a line with a Highwayman's Hitch until you get your insurance cleared. Then f-it and put the bracket back.

Remember the BIG picture. :D

Got anymore goodies from this crazy surveyor? If there's more, you oughta publish his name so no one else uses him. :doh:

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
you've gotta ask this ding a ling if he thinks the swim ladder is there to allow any passing swimmer access to the boat. please, let us know.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

You guys are being way to hard (and unfair) on the surveyor. He isn't making up the ABYC requirements - just doing his job by reporting differences between the regs and the boat. You can either do them or ignore them. The last THREE boats I bought all had the same notation by 2 different surveyors.

Lastly, I have Allstate insurance and they have never asked to see a survey before writing my insurance policy. My last boat was damaged in hurricane Sandy and Allstate was great to deal with.

Barry

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
are there really requirements somewhere that swim ladders ned be accessed by swimmers in the water or diesel engines have firefighting devices nearby? if so, where are these requirements to be found, and is catalina yachts consisetntly violating them?

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
Couple of points:
1) Fire port is cheap and easy. Put one in.
2) Swim ladder access is important. Lots of ways to improve existing system. I've never seen this a ABYC required (???).
3) As several people have said (including myself), the engine is potentially expensive. Again, if you're about to buy this boat it makes sense to hire the BEST mechanic in your area to take a look.
4) Are you in love with this boat? A boat is an emotional experience as well as practical.

Good luck to 'ya!

Scotty

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
exactly what is a fire port, why did catalina omit them, and what does one have to with some kind of auto system in the engine compartment? as far as the swim ladder, i have one and have never considered allowing access when nobody is aboard, no more than i would provide a ladder to my house windows, though i do live on the twenty-eighth floor.