1993 Hunter 30T

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 30T Grand Lake, OK
Well after a long search and several surveys we have purchased a 'New to Us' Hunter 30. Looking forward to getting it to its new location and start getting the boat lake ready. I've been a Hunter dreamer since I first took a tour in the early 90's of a 28 and 30 side by side at a Boat Show. Ever since that time I hoped and planned to 'some day' own one. Well the time has come and I can't wait to be on the water and live the day dreams I've had over the years.

For you current and past Hunter 30 owners, what do I need to do? what do I need to avoid? How do I sail fast? etc. I've been sailing for many years but always on smaller boats so this is exciting. This will be the first boat that I have owned that will have a Wheel! and a true head! first inboard diesel.
Any and all advice about the boat will be appreciated... What to do... What to avoid... Best gear to get... Problem areas... sea cocks... drains... windows... sails... engine maintenance....

Thanks for your input.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Congrats. I love my 30' as well. Some think there ugly. But I don't see it. Any how leeks 25 yr old boat gonna have some. Mostly around Windows hatches. Ya gonna need stay on top of that. Sit in boat on rainy day with a flashlight. If its still on land check for rust cast iron keel alot on this site to fix that. And check rudder for water inside. Alot on that here too. Keep shift throttle cables lubed by removing compass and pour oil down cable. The boat sails fast and I win most of my club races. Put a 180 overlap sail on head and full batten race mainsail. Have fun

Jul 7, 2010
Thanks for the reply, The boat will be delivered on Thursday (less than a week now). In transit the boat will get a new bottom job and finish the survey on the boat exterior and drive train.
So to sail fast? tips on how to point high? Do you sail with the water tank full? to help keep the bow in the water when going up wind? The 180 that you use, is it on the fractional head halyard? What are its measurements?
I plan to club race and do fun events at our sail club so I want to be able to go fast....
Thanks
David

Mar 29, 2017
I all ways race light 1 battery. No water 5 gal or less diesel nothing in boat. My headstay is moved forward of bow so headsail measures 18' foot you will need measure your boat to find best size. Also jib track extended for bigger sails. A custom full batten main wakes boat up .

Jul 7, 2010
The boat comes with a full batten main (old but lightly used) and a standard jib. I am replacing all the halyards and lights above the deck to LED lights. The boat has been lightly used over the years but will need some attention. It has 2 house batteries and a battery for the motor. aloft it has a radar and seatalk system. Atop the mast it has a wind indicator but does not have a electronic wind direction / wind speed sensor. First item of business is to get a new bottom and clean up the inside for our use.
Do you fly a spinnaker? What type of headsail do you have? Weight?

Local here in Oklahoma we have gotten soaked with rain but the water will be full at the loading ramp :)
Any first order of business or items I need?

Thanks
David

Mar 29, 2017
A freshwater boat wow I bet it's perfect no rubrail rot or keel rust. Take a pair of wife's old panty hose in your hand and rub all over stainless rigging if it never snags on anything than that freshwater rig is perfect sail and enjoy

Jul 7, 2010
So, Headed back to work on the boat today. General questions?
How often (hours used or time in months) should the oil and filter be changed? It is lightly used
How often do the fuel filters need to be changed? Should I change out the fuel? This is my first venture in the diesel motor arena.
David

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Get a vacuum gauge for the filter. Change filters when ~ 7-10 or in red or what filter manual says ( some as low as 5)

Mar 29, 2017
Once every five years do I change oil. Filter. And fuel filters. I put diesel stabilizer in tank every year

Jul 7, 2010
I had no ideal it could go 5 years (even though the engine is lightly used) The vacuum gauge? is it for the fuel or oil filter? Any special additive for the fuel? I'm in Oklahoma so not too hot or too cold. I need to replace the halyards clean the water tank for summer use. Boat it getting ready to go.

May 20, 2016
The vacuum gauge goes after the diesel filter and before the pump. The more vacuum the more plugged the filter.
Tank -> filter -> gauge -> lift pump -> engine filter -> engine pump -> injectors

Les

Jul 7, 2010
Thanks Les, Our sail club has a sailor who has been a live aboard cruiser for 15+ years and has made a fuel polisher (?) and we are going to start with that. Is there a special type of vacuum gauge? or just one that fits the fuel line? Any special additive I need to add to the fuel?
Thanks
David

May 20, 2016
I did not pay the racor priemum. Just bought a liquid filled 20" gauge from a hydrolic store.
$20 iirc. I just started using Startron and JF biobor

Les

Jul 7, 2010
New electronics? Been on the boat a few times now and have loved it. However we have a large bimini and do not a a wind instrument located in the cockpit (only a direction indicator at the mast top). Would like to add a wind speed, direction etc electronic unit. Any idea on the type to get? With technology today I see wireless ones that are solar powered that only need the display to be hardwired for power. My wife would like to comfort of looking at the instrument instead of looking up to the mast top through a small window in the bimini.

Mar 29, 2017
Ok so I just figured out how to post a photo. That a aux power haven't tried out yet but old yanmar might die soon and just need enough power to get back to slip

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Wow, a 180 genoa? I had a 135 made for our '91 30T and the traveler cars sometimes were only a foot from the aft end of the track if I was trying to flatten the foot. And the tracks came back almost to the cockpit. I assume your jib track was actually a block further aft, like a spinnaker block?

Mar 29, 2017
What ya think of alternative power 3.5 hp outboard gonna pull yanmar to save weight and pull kitchen and seats just trying to figure out how much is structural