1993 C30 MkIII Tall Rig w/ Wing Keel - Update

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Ward: Just wanted to say I enjoyed your photos and love the name of your boat! Good choice. Happy sails.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
More friction, but it keeps the traveler lines tidy and I within reach. The trouble with nothing but traveler mounted cams is that the lines flop around and fall off the cabin top. You might consider running them through a padeye mounted above the cockpit bulkhead, midway from companionway to cabin side. It would keep them tidy and you can grab them aft of the padeye to trim, or forward of the padeye to pop and release. That’s what I did.
Hadn’t considered that. Cam cleats on the traveler will just be temporary until I get the dodger back on. Easy to do as I have a pair of unused cam cleats in my parts box.
Eventually, to accommodate the dodger, I plan to put fair leads midway back and cam cleats on cabin top at cockpit bulkhead.
But I am open to all ideas right now.

My biggest challenge right now is boat control at slow speed with a breeze. Had trouble leaving the slip and coming in, again. Just rub rail against pilings this time but it was ugly. Tomorrow I’ll be starting a thread on the challenges I’m having.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Just get used to ugly! ;) When don't we come back to our slip in a breeze? You could move into the lagoon, which makes it easier … but then you wouldn't be next to me. :( Actually, I never see our neighbor having any trouble. Why is that?

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
to accommodate the dodger
Dodgers are a problem that way. I took the OP's off as soon as I bought the boat. They get in the way of sail handling and vision.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'd like to follow the help with a slip with pilings, which I assume is and Bow or Stern in slip. I was thinking of moving our boat to one of those vs our full dock side parallel parking spot. But after helping a few time with others in those spots I'm not that excited.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Just get used to ugly! ;)
I don't really mind ugly. Ugly was putting it mildly.:biggrin:

but then you wouldn't be next to me. :(
Yep, will buy another boat before giving up our current slip on our dock. The problem is not the boat.

Actually, I never see our neighbor having any trouble. Why is that?
50 plus years of boating? Tons of boating in all types of boats? Years of teaching sailing? Not afraid of hitting is neighbors boat? Oh wait, that would be your boat. Sorry:biggrin:

I'll get there as you are correct, there is always a breeze. I'm just missing something and need more experience.
Hopefully we can talk this weekend.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Dodgers are a problem that way. I took the OP's off as soon as I bought the boat. They get in the way of sail handling and vision.
I had thought the dodger was needed to keep the Admiral dry but this boat is proving to have a dry cockpit. At least so far. No rush to getting the dodger installed.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
this boat is proving to have a dry cockpit.
Oh... wait till you are in 4 foot chop with the wind on the bow and your pushing to beat the storm clouds you see on the horizon... Then you let me know about your "Dry Cockpit".
If you had the dodger for the Admiral, then you should really have it ready when she is aboard.

Or you can done gear like I'm wearing in my Avatar and look Salty...

Jan 2, 2017
I had thought the dodger was needed to keep the Admiral dry
It does do that, but what you gain there you lose in the other ways I mentioned. So it’s a trade off - really depends on the admiral. ;)

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Cheaper to put on the dodger than switch Admirals;). I'll install it when I get the new windows sewn in.

Yesterday we spent 5 hours sailing, the longest she has been on the water and it was full sunshine. On the way home she asked about a bimini.
Boat came with one. Just have to figure out how to install it.

Jan 2, 2017
I’m a big fan of Biminis. Great for keeping the sun off you, particularly here in Arizona.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
I’m a big fan of Biminis. Great for keeping the sun off you, particularly here in Arizona.
I had both a dodger and a bimini. We uses the bimini at anchor and at the slip. The dodger didn't present any sail trim problem for me. All the sail trim control were led under the dodger. Originally, the lines we led through a opening in the dodger glass but i didn't like that setup but once I cut the holes, which I was sorry about, there was nothing I could do other than replace the glass so I left them and they turned out to be conversation pieces -- I told people they were draft holes that relived pressure on the glass helped me go faster!!