1990 Hunter 23 (wing keel) Restoration

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Dave's description matches mine exactly. Though (and I am not at the boat) the loop to which you tie the reefing line may be in the track on the bottom side of the boom rather than riveted to its side.

Using a small swivel block at the bottom end of the topping lift (set so it is about 2 or 3 feet above the boom when the boom is level) helps 1) raise and lower the boom and 2) lets you remove the boom from the topping lift more easily. The line that goes through the block routes into the boom at the front end through one of the 3 sheaves (through the jam cleat up there), then through the boom to the aft end, through the matching turning sheave at the aft end, up to and through that swivel block, then down to be tied to the "bar" above the turning sheave. The mechanical advantage from that block is useful. End of season, you just untie the line from the "bar" and pull out from the block, leaving the topping lift itself attached to the mast crane.

Jun 5, 2013
Hunter 23 St petersburg
Ok i think i am getting the idea and how it would work although i am interested on the swivel option as the boat will be on trailer for a while so the ease of setting the topping lift will be useful. So if i understand correctly i will need to attach a line (shackle, or other means) to the pin on the top aft of the mast. Then i will need to run it to the open block/roller on the boom and then though the boom to the mast? This last part is what i am confused and concern or running the line through the boom every time.

So the questions are: 1. Is the line a cable, or braided covered cable, or regular line? 2 how is it attached to the top of the mast? 3. Does anybody has picture, drawings, diagrams of this specific "system"?

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
reefing;

I need to talk with you as there use to be three lines in the original configuration.. It looks that maybe the one line in the bottom photo may be larger. Is it for reefing or not. send me your phone number and I will call and try to walk you thru this. I do not have any diagrams but it would help you for the two of us to talk.

Apr 27, 2010
The red flecked line must be the outhaul, as I can see it is attached to the main's clew. The other one is probably the reefing line. The unused sheave would be for the topping lift.

I don't know how the 23 was rigged by the factory, but from other comments I assume the topping lift was one long line from the mast crane down to the sheave at the boom's aft end, then through the inside of the boom and out the front of the boom through the sheave and jam cleat. That would mean you have to pull that line out of the boom before you remove the boom so you can lower the mast (assuming you do have to lower it at the end of the season). And more to the point, thread it back in when you next launch, using a fish tape or similar.

You should be able to use either a thin wire rope (like maybe 1/16 stainless) that you can get at any big box store, or maybe thin braided line (not too stretchy). Use cable clamps (or eyes if line) and if desired thimbles at each end, the length being from the mast crane to about 3 feet above the boom end when it is level. Shackle a small swivel block to the loop at the bottom end, and use the center clevis pin on the crane to attach the loop to the top. Run a line (does not have to be too stout, as it only holds the weight of the boom end) into the unused sheave at the front of the boom, through the boom, and out the sheave at the rear (obviously the same side in each case). Run that up to and through the swivel block, then back down and tie with a bowline to the "bar" just above the sheave at the aft end of the boom.

Then it is easy to raise and lower the boom by pulling on the front end of the adjustment line, as the block gives you 2 to 1 advantage. When you unmast, just untie the line from the "bar" and pull out of the swivel block, but leave it in the boom. The wire or line can stay attached to the mast crane all the time, but of course if you find it easier to stow the mast without it there, you can unpin it.

Jun 5, 2013
Hunter 23 St petersburg
Isaksp00 thank you with all the explanations i think i got it but it seems that the boat was designed to be sailed with or without the topping lift. In any case with this information i will be able to get creative in the design of the lift.

Thank you all, btw the forum is an outstanding tool and a incomparable wealth of knowledge.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You want a topping lift on that boat or when the sail comes down, so does the boom and possibly someone getting hurt or damage to the boat.

Apr 27, 2010
+1 to what Dave said. Technically, you don't need the topping lift "to be sailed" - it ought to be a bit loose (hence, the line that lets you adjust it) when the main is up, and the main ought to support the boom. But without it, the boom hangs down in the cockpit when you lower the main.

Dec 1, 2007
-Hunter -23 Kenora, Ontario, Canada
Hi, Here's some pictures of my Hunter 23. It seems to have different castings than yours, but may help. First is the mast head, taken with a 500 mm lens! Love that image stabilizer.

The topping lift is the black rope, and as mentioned comes down to the aft end of the boom, then inside the boom, and out at the gooseneck on the port side. The reef out-haul is on the starboard side. Both these have jam cleats, though I have mine led aft to clam cleats on the coach top. In the center is the regular outhaul, which I believe has a block and tackle inside the boom.

I used 5/16 polyester rope for everything, I think, including halyards, seems to work fine. The topping lift is somewhat essential when dropping the main as mentioned, and also handy for raising the boom a bit to put a bit of twist in the main for light air days, if you race. I used a Halyard hitch at the mast head:
http://www.animatedknots.com/halyar...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com
-Chris

Attachments

Jun 5, 2013
Hunter 23 St petersburg
Hi, Here's some pictures of my Hunter 23. It seems to have different castings than yours, but may help. First is the mast head, taken with a 500 mm lens! Love that image stabilizer.

The topping lift is the black rope, and as mentioned comes down to the aft end of the boom, then inside the boom, and out at the gooseneck on the port side. The reef out-haul is on the starboard side. Both these have jam cleats, though I have mine led aft to clam cleats on the coach top. In the center is the regular outhaul, which I believe has a block and tackle inside the boom.

I used 5/16 polyester rope for everything, I think, including halyards, seems to work fine. The topping lift is somewhat essential when dropping the main as mentioned, and also handy for raising the boom a bit to put a bit of twist in the main for light air days, if you race. I used a Halyard hitch at the mast head:
http://www.animatedknots.com/halyar...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com
-Chris

This is great, so what it comes down to is that the Topping lift could be just a simple line or a cable attached to shackles for ease of disconnection or a combination of the two.

Thank you again!

Dec 1, 2007
-Hunter -23 Kenora, Ontario, Canada
This is great, so what it comes down to is that the Topping lift could be just a simple line or a cable attached to shackles for ease of disconnection or a combination of the two.

Thank you again!
Not quite, it's easier than that. The topping lift stays connected while sailing, just loosened enough that it hangs a bit looser than the leach (back edge) of the main.

Stock setup has the main halyard cleat at the base of the mast, so after the main is raised and cleated, you just reach over to the topping lift jam cleat and release it. You can see the release lever in my second picture, coming down just below the word "lift" (I hope your hardware is similar). Easy breezy! Reverse the procedure for dropping the main.

On my boat I have added hardware so the halyards and topping lift are accessed from the cockpit, but doing the same from the base of the mast while someone steers the boat works very well.

Its great to hear your progress, keep up the good work and keep us informed!
-Chris

Apr 27, 2010
You have different fittings than mine (which is a 91 hull), such as the gooseneck, but the principle is identical - they just have a somewhat different shape. Mine has three jam cleats at the fore end of the boom (that look a bit different, but so what), and also (obviously) three sheaves at the aft end. My mast crane looks just like Reefing's, so I suspect his fittings may be more like mine.
Peter

May 30, 2009
2 23.5 Detroit Lakes
I looked at mine yesterday - the braided nylon line is the main halyard.

The middle clevis pin is for the topping lift, but the topping lift line is not shown in your photo. Depending on what type of topping lift you have (it may be wire, it may be thin diameter rope) the top is attached using that middle clevis pin. Mine happens to be wire rope (prob about 1/16) clamped around a thimble, and the pin goes through the thimble.

Summary:
The aftmost fitting on the crane is the backstay (it almost looks like a rod in your photo).
The middle fitting (pin) is where you will attach your topping lift.
The braided nylon line going through the sheave is the main halyard.
My 89 has a topping lift tied to the aft of the masthead and connected to the end of the boom. The 3 lines in the boom are used for: outhaul, reef 1 and reef 2. The middle clevis pin is for the backstay. Now I have to go see if that topping lift interferes with the backstay?

Apr 27, 2010
I would assume the topping lift must wrap around the backstay at some place, maybe up near the top.

If you look at Reefing's photo of the crane, the backstay has a swaged fitting that must be in that aft "hole" - like mine. Chris's photo is a different style, where both the stay and topping lift attach with clevis pins - hence the ability to reverse them.

Jun 5, 2013
Hunter 23 St petersburg
Hi friends here is the next update; yesterday i dedicated the day to cleaning the boat in the inside. Since there were about 9 years of dust, mold, and freshwater stains. Although there is still some more that can be done, at least most of the areas demonstrate that the gel coat indeed is white. While doing this, and forgive me because i remember reading this issue at another post but can't recall where, i ket getting water back in the indented area where the keel bolts are coming from some predrilled holes. This did not seem to come from underneath the cockpit nor under the vberth. Because the holes appear to be the for that same reason i am not terribly concerned but still i will like to know where is the water coming from and if that place could possibly bring salt water in. As an added update i have ordered the halyards for the main and jib and came up with a plan with the vendor to create a detachable topping lift. Here are some photos of the inside.

Attachments

Apr 27, 2010
I'd add a second hose clamp to each end of the hose draining the cockpit to the thruhull.
Peter

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Reefing;

There are areas in the grid system of the boat you cannot get to unless drilling holes as water has collected underneath. Please refer to earlier posts to finding topside leaks using soapy water with brush and leaf blower wherein you are pressurizing the cabin to find air bubbling out which is indicative of water leaks. The only way to find leaks below the water line is to put the boat in the water or the last and least suggestion I heard is to fill up the inside with water. I do not suggest the later. However, the only places for water to come in thru the hull that is in the water are several to include lower rudder gudgeon on transom, keel bolts, thru hulls for example depth and knot meters. I think that covers it.

Jun 5, 2013
Hunter 23 St petersburg
Ok friends, today i picked up the halyards from a store that Inarathreee had suggested. They also customized the topping lift, using all your suggestions, and i ended up with what i think will be a very functional system still with the flexibility to raise and lower the mast with out undoing the ringing every time.

I wanted to take a minute and thank all of you for your great support, knowledge and patience.

So today i got so eager after picking up the brand new lines, that i ran to the nearest marine supply store to purchase all the remaining items i was missing to be legal in the water and to be able to use the motor.

Inarathree, if it ever stops raining here in Clearwater, i will be getting in touch with you in a week or two to replace the lines and set up the standing rigging. I will truly need your experience with all the rigging. So what i have left is to inspect the lines and replace the anchor light and we are ready. During the maiden voyage I will make every effort to take pictures and video to share.

All, have a great evening.

Jun 5, 2013
Hunter 23 St petersburg
Hi friends, hopes this weeks have been fun. I have a basic question that i can't think of a way to find the answer. On the 1990 H23, which standing rigging goes on each end (outer and inner) location? See photo. I think that the spreader goes on the inside and the top rigging goes on the outside, is this correct?

Also, i was trying to fish the detachable end of the topping lift through the boom but i was unsuccessful because of a very inconveniently located block at the mast end of the boom. Does anybody has a technique to fish a line through the boom? Over the weekend i tried fishing the line with a fish tape and that did not work because the space above the block is to tight to make the turn.

I was planning to get to the water this weekend and test the boat but the weather here in St Petersburg will still be raining for a third week in a row. I will hope st i can post pictures and tell you all of my adventure on my first sail soon.

Attachments

Apr 27, 2010
The outer (or upper, if you prefer) shroud goes to the outside hole of the chain plate - that is the shroud that comes from near the top of the mast and to the spreader tip. The inner shroud goes to the inner hole.

I don't seem to have any block inside my boom. I was able to use a standard fish tape to get my topping lift line through. If you mean the sheaves at the mast end of the boom (there are 3, above the jam cleats) and you can't get the tape through there, try from the other end and then use something to grab and yank the line through the opening above the sheave. I don't recall that the opening is that small on mine.

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
the outboard most connection point is for the main stay of the mast. the inboard of the two is for the lower shroud (the one that goes about 1/2 way up the mast).

As for fishing line through the boom, i used a 25' x 1" measuring tape. Tape the line to the end and it should have enough strength to force it through the length of the boom. Or having done this too, ran the measuring tape through the boom, then taped the new line to it and pulled it back through. Not sure if you are doing this, but taking the ends of the boom off helps too.

As for fishing a line though a mast (not that you asked), but i borrowed (what i assume is) electricians tape from the guys at work. It was a 50' piece of maybe 1/8" round fiberglass, it coiled up into about a 2-3' loop for taking home. when uncoiled it was easy to tape a new line to it and run it through the length of the mast. Mine was down when I did it. I ran a spinnaker line, coax for VHF and moved the anchor light from 1/2 way up the mast to the top with it. Like most things plan ahead I did all three of these in one weekend, so i only had to borrow the electricians tape once.

You missed sailing yesterday (Wednesday) out on the bay. Beautiful day.