1990 H30. Please Help Me Get Started

Mar 24, 2013
Hunter 1990 Hunter 30 Kentucky Lake
For the last 6 years my wife and I have been sailing a H240 on a small lake. We just sold the boat and are buying a 1990 Hunter 30. We will be sailing on Kentucky Lake. What kind of insurance policy do I need? Are there any riders that are considered a must for sailboat owners. What kind of liability do I need. Is $100,000 enough(or too much) or is it wise to bump it up. Is medical coverage needed or is my health insurance enough. I want the Tow package and I think ice and freezing protection is wise. Anything else about insurance is greatly appreciated.

My next area of concern(I’m embarrassed by this)is what do I actually need to do when I get on the boat. All I know is 9.9 hp outboat and portipotty. It’s more the systems I’m worried about as I’m a decent sailor and take new boats slowing never pushing beyond what is prudent. Plus lots of practice in an isolated area of the lake. Is there any kind of checklist for what I need to do when I first get to the boat. When the broker started the boat I saw a thru haul under the aft bed was opened and the battery switch was back there. Also when I leave the boat after I’m finished for the weekend, does anyone have a checklist for what I need to do.

I greatly appreciate any and all comments about me, the boat or the lake. Thanks!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm hoping your broker will answer most of these questions. Don't be afraid to ask him/her. The marina you stay in will have a say in the insurance issue, check with them. You should also be trying to get a copy of the owner's manual.... Another thing, most boat owners will maintain a log of product manuals and records for their boats over the years. A "Boat Book" if you will. Look for that when you go aboard the first time. Good Luck. Congratulations.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
This may help to get started
https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-content/export/Owners-Manuals/30 Owners manualL.pdf
Are you planning on having an independent survey completed? Remember brokers are there to sell you a boat.
Like many we have an umbrella policy which covers all liability issues to 1 million this is on top of the boat policy it self.
I don't think I would insure against freezing or other maintenance items, just make sure you do the work, why give your money to an insurance company.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Some quick suggestions-
You would be better served not adding a "rider" to any existing policy but rather obtain insurance specifically related to boats. Your insurance will dictate your responsibility to avoid ice damage from weather and when/if your boat must be winterized.

The first thing you should do after buying any boat is to thoroughly understand every system and inspect every rope, cable, wire, pipe, thruhull, etc... in so doing, you will learn how everything works.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Before taking the boat out, thoroughly inspect things like :
Through hulls -where are they? Are they open or closed(engine cooling water)?

Engine controls- how do you shift forward or reverse? How does the throttle work? How do you kill the engine? Are there any engine alarms/lights? What are they for? Is there a tachometer? What is the normal operating range?

Sails...how to raise? How to reef? How to drop? Traveler? Mainsheet? Other controls or ways to dump wind?

Bilge pump works? Manual pump? Where is the handle? Do you have an emergency tiller? Where does it fit?

I am sure there are 100+ other things to check, but these are some of the things I checked on my new-to-me boat....those and the beer fridge!

Congrats and good luck

Greg

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
As far as insurance goes we have been very pleased with Progressive and an agreed value policy.

Jan 11, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Middle River, MD
Best of luck with your new-to-you Hunter. We have owned a 1986 H31 since 1990, and it has been a great boat for the Chesapeake. I recommend Boat US insurance (now underwritten by Geico). Their service is legendary, and the premiums have always been among the lowest.
I agree with Don, that you should learn every system on your boat intimately, so that when something goes wrong, you can diagnose it quickly or at least understand the issue. Happy sailing!