1988 Hunter 37 Legend - Need Info on Engine Cooling and Head valves

Dec 11, 2009
Cal 2-27 Maricopa
Hello,
I've owned my Hunter for 4 years and keep it in Mexico. Sailing season is during the winter there, and it's on the hard through the spring and summer.

On the list for later this year is replacing the ball valves for the engine cooling intake, and head intake. They are 1/2" and 3/4" respectively.

It appears to me that there is not enough room - at all - to change the original format of thru hull, 45 degree fitting, ball valve, nipple. And - I don't really want this thread hijacked into a discussion about "proper" thru hull designs. I just need the current, as-designed facts.

Specifically, does the installed 45 degree fitting on each thru hull allow for tapered ball valves? Can I replace the current - presumed original - ball valves with, say, stainless tapered thread valves? If not, exactly what do I need?

Thanks.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
There may be a very simple solution for the head intake: reroute the head intake line to tee into the head sink drain line. That frees up the head intake thru-hull for other use or allows you to eliminate that thru-hull.
Rather than risk hijacking your thread with the details about the advantages of doing this, I'll let you get back to it if you're interested in knowing more...post to the Plumbing and Sanitation forum.