1987 Hunter Legend 35 - Rudder Construction?

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
(previously posted on a Catalina forum by mistake)

My rudder has been dripping rusty water for a number of years, and this winter, I've got in in the shop and am going to peel it open, clean out any soggy foam (or perhaps all foam), inspect the structural grid, and re-foam, and re-skin (or replace skin).

I'min the process of deciding on which side of the rudder to cut into so I can remove the skin, and I wanted to know the location of the internal grid so i can figure out the best places to cut. I've used my studfinder (in metal mode) to map out the structural grid (see picture). I was a little surprised how much grid there actually was! The stud finder worked very nicely.

My real question is as follows: Does anyone know if the grid is glassed to one surface or the other on the inside? If so, which side, or any thoughts on how to make that determination? Or might it just be embedded in the foam?

If the grid is glassed to one side, then I really want to remove the opposite side, otherwise I will have a very hard time disconnecting the skin, and I will have to rebond the grid before re-assembly.

The readings with the studfinder produce about the same results on both sides. I have tried, without conclusive results, to see if the studfinder readings indicated that the grid was closer to one side than the other, or that one side had higher density than the other.

One thought is to drill a hole on each side (maybe 1"), at the same location, near some of the grid work, and then poke around in the hole, scratching out some foam, and hunting for evidence of glass bonding on one side, and not on the other.

If anyone has any experience with Hunter rudders of this era or has any suggestions, I would be most appreciative.

Chris

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If you really want an answer why not call Bob Walker with Foss Foam or New Rudders in Florida who actually the company built your rudder. You may be surprised how difficult this might be.

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
Good advice from Crazy Dave.

The shaft is embedded in the foam on all metal shaft rudders I've seen. The standard fabrication method for cheap production boats like ours is to lay up the skins in port and starboard molds, pour in expanding urethane foam, and close the molds around the shaft, letting the foam fill the cavity. As you've seen, an engineered shaft has extra structure to keep the stress on the foam maneageable.

The video might be useful. The limited connection between the shaft and core and skin here scares me. This looks like a composite shaft, so the bond should last longer, but still...

I strongly suspect your rudder shaft is embedded in foam, but hitting the skin with a rubber mallet should give a different sound if the skin is attached on one side.

If you do this, please take pictures! Best of luck!

Paul

Urchin

Mar 6, 2017
Hunter 25.5 Asheville NC
H25.5 Rudder Build: I am building a new rudder for my 1985 Hunter 25.5. I am building a kick-up rudder as I've seen quite a few posts about how the H25,5 lose their rudders when they run ground - the kick up will help prevent this. The blade is made with a 1/2" core marine ply and 1" polystyrene laminated on either side. This has been sanded to the aero- foil rudder profile and I am now ready to cover this with 3-4 layers of GRP Cloth.

The top half of the rudder I plan to build out of 3/4" Seaboard bolted together with the blade in the middle,

Has anyone done this before and is there any advice that could be useful?

Thanks