1987 Catalina 34

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would tend to agree @Kings Gambit. I drove to Seattle (250 miles one way) about 6 times during my boat search. Great times while the sun was out. Walking the docks and inspecting boats.. What fun. My score came when a friend saw an ad and checked out the boat. Gave me a call and said... " John you got to come up again..." That was at the start of my relationship with Hadley.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Thanks all, the key was my wife liking the idea of a used boat and what she saw. I was surprised she is willing and interested as I've shown her a fair amount of options. I don't think the drive is a big deal, and given to poorly maintained local options this is hopefully a step in the right direction.

I have mixed feelings as I really do enjoy my 25 and it is cheap and comfortable. But my wife doesn't like it and wasn't comfortable on it last year. So this is more about getting her on a large enough boat that could be an overnight trip and comfotable in moderate winds. I expect I'll miss being able to sail in the ridiculous low wind conditions we have here often, but that is a trade off.

That C34 site is a big selling point for sure. A ton of lessons to learn and look out for. @Stu Jackson amazing job

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
John Sounds like you are ready for the next adventure. Hope the boat lives up to your expectations. Best of luck. This is an exciting time for you. enjoy the moments.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks all, the key was my wife liking the idea of a used boat and what she saw. I was surprised she is willing and interested as I've shown her a fair amount of options. I don't think the drive is a big deal, and given to poorly maintained local options this is hopefully a step in the right direction.

I have mixed feelings as I really do enjoy my 25 and it is cheap and comfortable. But my wife doesn't like it and wasn't comfortable on it last year. So this is more about getting her on a large enough boat that could be an overnight trip and comfotable in moderate winds. I expect I'll miss being able to sail in the ridiculous low wind conditions we have here often, but that is a trade off.

That C34 site is a big selling point for sure. A ton of lessons to learn and look out for. @Stu Jackson amazing job
The right set of sails should provide good sailing in any wind. We never regretted the move from the lightweight Mac26S to the Hunter.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I have mixed feelings as I really do enjoy my 25 and it is cheap and comfortable. But my wife doesn't like it and wasn't comfortable on it last year.
We had a similar experience. I liked the simplicity, could take the outboard off to get it repaired (heck, what did I know?), but Cory said "I haven't been sailing with you as much as I'd like. We should get a bigger boat." Who's gonna argue with that? We'd seen the C34 at the '87 boat show when they first came out, and decided, after looking, that a C30 was just a bigger C25 and we liked the aft head and aft cabin.
That C34 site is a big selling point for sure. A ton of lessons to learn and look out for. Stu Jackson amazing job
It's a true group effort. I just tend to keep track of stuff.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Dear god @Ward H that doc is great! I'm still studying the electrical harness stuff, I think that should really be a sign of a loved boat if the one I'm looking at has it done.

Saturday can't come soon enough, even if it isa bust this has been a great education. Plus yesterday my wife said she would be fine leaving it all behind in a few years on the 34 if it was nice like the pics. I almost fell on the floor, clearly shr has been thinking about it in detail.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I remember a thread I started asking questions about the C30. One was concerning stability.
One poster explained that if the O'day 25 moved like a break dancer, the C30 moved like a ballet dancer.
In your case even more so.
I thought I would miss the feedback of the tiller and the sportiness of 25, not that anyone would really call it sporty.
With the wheel steering, room in the cockpit and ample room on deck, as well as being stable while on deck I found it a different type of sailing and more enjoyable than the 25.

But the big difference was the comfort for the Admiral. She at a point where she only wanted to sail on perfect 8-12 wind days.
Now she doesn't care how hard it blows, she knows I can keep it flat and stable.

Your wife will love it. Hope you get to take out for a sail.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
UGGG, I called out the pics not matching a 1991 model and asked for HIN and verification of year. update says it is a 1987 now! My enthusiasm just took a nose dive cause now all the early 80s comments for C34 are applicable. Will still check out the boat, but not as happy.

On plus side I added the J30 and Sabre 32 to our list to look at. I obviously would love the J30, but I doubt it will pass my wife. The Sabre 32 is interesting in Nashville as it seems to have been updated a bunch also, always liked the classic lines too.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
J30 and Sabre 32
Two great boats! I've sailed both, and honestly would have to say it's a close draw between the two. The Sabre is a bit more of a cruiser, a little more comfortable than the J. But that J...soooo many races you could win with her!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I set a year standard in my head to not look at 80s boats given the terrible condition of the ones I have seen here locally, this now blows that entirely out of the water. We will see the C34 first for sure, but if I see the traveler bolts upgrade missing, alternator bracket missing and the trailer connector and ammeter with the engine I'll be highly suspicious of any other claims. I need to see very new sails and a very dry leak free cabin. I'm not signing up for endless projects from lack of maintenance. I might be over reacting now, but the 1991 really got my attention, and I would never have even bother to consider a 1987 at the asking price.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
UGGG, I called out the pics not matching a 1991 model and asked for HIN and verification of year. update says it is a 1987 now!
I don't want to patronize, so don't take this the wrong way ... Do you really want to do business with someone who made a "mistake" about four years and an entire model changeover? There are many used sailboats out there with honest owners.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Ya I don't know where the mistake was made (Owner, broker, guy who typed it up and put on web). It isn't too big of a deal and I've already made arrangements for kids to not be on this trip. So just my wife and I get to spend the day together on a road trip to Nashville (2 hrs ish), look at some boats and have a nice late lunch before heading home.

If it doesn't work out I'm out nothing other then gas since any alone time we can have is a mini vacation. I plan to have some 'words' with the broker after we see it, as at this point my wife really needs to see more options, and if this C34 doesn't work out then maybe there is one or two down on the gulf coast we could consider.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I don't want to patronize, so don't take this the wrong way ... Do you really want to do business with someone who made a "mistake" about four years and an entire model changeover? There are many used sailboats out there with honest owners.
Is it possible that you could own a sailboat and not know this? I always thought sailboat ownership bordered on compulsiveness

Apr 1, 2004
Catalina 34 Herring Bay Chesapeake, MD
John Tubb,

Sorry just noticed.................
If you look at the 5th picture on the Yacht World link you will see the solar vent over the aft port head and a opening port on the same fixed glass. In 1988 model years and newer Catalina 34s had an opening port overhead on the head only instead of the solar vent and removed the opening port on the fixed port glass.

Steve

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I agree it’s another warning sign to be cautious about how the boat is represented but as you said, the trip is planned so take a look. If your wife loves the C34 at least you know that. As I said before, my wife fell in love with the C30. It was up to me to find the right one.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It was up to me to find the right one.
Very good advice. FWIW, and I think I may have mentioned this to John in a one of our pms, we looked for ONLY a C34 for an entire year! We saw some newer ones that had been horribly neglected. We put an offer in on a "newer" one but it failed the survey. The "older" one we bought, 20 years ago now, was in pristine condition. Older doesn't mean squat by now. :)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Agree condition is very important vs year. I hope it was an honest mistake and the rest is correct. My eyes will be wide open and my camera clicking away

Last edited: