1985 Fabric Interior

kperks

Apr 7, 2015
S2 11a Oriental
I just closed on a 1985 S2 11a and have been working on reconditioning the interior. The head liner is in good shape but the problem area is the fabric along the walls. It is dingy and stained so my question is how to recondition it. Option 1 is live with it. Option 2 is replace but I want to spend my money elsewhere. What is my Option 3? I tried using white spray paint but that did not help. Would a brush or roller work better?
How have you dealt with this problem on your boat?
Thanks

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I just closed on a 1985 S2 11a and have been working on reconditioning the interior. The head liner is in good shape but the problem area is the fabric along the walls. It is dingy and stained so my question is how to recondition it. Option 1 is live with it. Option 2 is replace but I want to spend my money elsewhere. What is my Option 3? I tried using white spray paint but that did not help. Would a brush or roller work better?
How have you dealt with this problem on your boat?
Thanks
i redid the whole interior on mine used boat carpet on the head liner and some other carpet on the wall surfaces i got form hd all were made out of oflin so as not to mildew or mold ...if you still have the carpet you can try resolve carpet spot cleaner ...i think it comes in 1 or 2 oz bottles along with some elbow grease

Jtoben

Jan 14, 2011
S2 11.0a Holland, MI
You might also try some Oxy Clean, dissolved in very hot water in a spray bottle and sprayed on. Heavily soiled areas could be dabbed on and rubbed a bit, but be careful of pilling the fabric by too much scrubbing. Oxy Clean really only works well when used with very hot water, so keep that in mind when treating those areas. Good luck. We just removed the soiled carpet from the walls and floors INSIDE cabinets on our 11.0a, that's where most of the discoloration occurred. Then we just painted the rough interior surfaces in a satin finish paint. We used beige dri-dek cut to fit precisely, to line the bottom of the quarter berth cabinet and the bottom of the head cabinet behind the sink. They look fresh and finished, and no more dingy fabric. The fabric in the main cabin areas was pretty good, and the light spray with oxy-clean took care of the few remaining dingy areas. Unless you have severely discolored areas, this might be a useful idea/fix for you. Good luck, great boat!

kperks

Apr 7, 2015
S2 11a Oriental
Most of the discoloration is in the cabinets so I do like your suggestions.
Oxyclean on the main areas. Pull the fabric and go with paint from inside the cabinets. Maybe on the vberth, since it is open and noticeable - replacement with new material. I will try that plan and update with the results.
Thanks

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
What did u do with the spray paint? From ur post, it sounds like you painted it. If so, ur kinda screwed if u dont like it. Live with it or rip it out...did i read ur post correctly? We're fortunate that ours is still in good shape...

kperks

Apr 7, 2015
S2 11a Oriental
What did u do with the spray paint? From ur post, it sounds like you painted it. If so, ur kinda screwed if u dont like it. Live with it or rip it out...did i read ur post correctly? We're fortunate that ours is still in good shape...
I just spray tested a small area and it didn't hurt but it didn't help either.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Then as above, just try some fabric cleaners. Maybe steam but id think about that...you might have to reglue.

Jtoben

Jan 14, 2011
S2 11.0a Holland, MI
If you do have to reglue, the 3m adhesive spray works well, but guard against getting it anywhere but where you want it. Other option I've heard is contact cement, but I did not have good luck with that in a few small areas near the deck joint that were coming loose.

Sep 6, 2011
Go to the dollar store and try some totally awesome. It helped several areas where the cabinets were refinished without taping the area.

SC

Feb 22, 2012
S2 8.5 1983 Seattle
Before you make a further mess of what should be s lovely interior.... Get ahold of a Bissell Green Machine, or any of this type of cleaning devise. Heck, even a spray bottle and a wet vac. Spray the fabric with a bleach solution, wet up up good, lightly scrub with a short Bistle brush, vacuumed out as dry as you can, repeat with pure water. The lining fabric will return to as new. Mine was horrid with black shadowy stains everywhere. Now as new. Try it!