1985 C&C 27 Mark V For Beginner?

Oct 31, 2017
Pearson 28-2 52 Annapolis, MD
So I looked at four Catalina 27s for my first boat today. Lo and behold I came across a beautiful 1985 C&C 27 MK V. I would love to purchase, but I've read that the Mark V is a completely different boat than earlier C&C 27s. Is this something someone would recommend for a beginner?

Before I get a surveyor, the only thing I can find wrong with the boat is fine hairline cracks in the gelcoat (see attached).

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It is, but thats a good thing. The last C&C27 was much faster and a much newer design then either its predecessors or the C27. While part of the overall C&C 'cost down' program that was informing all designs of that time, the build quality was still high. Some were made in Canada, later in the US. Sail it with a jib and she'll be a great learning boat. Make sure the diesel is OK.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It is a good boat. I would much prefer it over the earlier 27's. There are several in our area and they can do well in PHRF racing. There is nothing scary about this boat for a beginner. It is a one banger diesel so that's an encouragement to sail where you want to go. Interior is very similar, but a little bigger, than my Mark 25, which is it's little sister. Very workable pocket cruiser too. If it checks out, you can buy it with confidence that you are not buying a dog.